Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By SuMeiSu

Thread: Need Assistance w/ Website (Web Designer Gone). Please Help.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Arrow Need Assistance w/ Website (Web Designer Gone). Please Help.

All,

I seriously hope this post is not out of line or against the forum rules. My Grandfather has a website that was taken offline by the web designer to fix the connectivity of the site with PayPal and GoDaddy (Site Host). But soon after he passed away and the only thing he has is a large file with the website in it (well that is the belief). It was built with Drupal and I am simply trying to help him get his site up and running again, but I know nothing about web design or Drupal.

Is there a place I can go for help? Real help, not some rip-off or game playing. I have no monetary gain in this, only trying to help my Grandfather. Please reply or PM.

SuMeiSu

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't see anything out of line with forum rules, but this may be tricky. The site being built in Drupal means that there is also a database associated with it (stored separately). Is what you have a .ZIP file or a .GZ file or some other compressed file?

The other thing you might want to try is asking GoDaddy. They're not much of a host, but this is something they might be able to help with.
    satindertech likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I did contact GoDaddy and they said they couldn't offer any help because they were just hosting the site. I really have no idea with what I am doing. I am starting at nothing and trying to learn as much as I can, but never learning any website building languages has me quite far behind.

Initially, my Grandfather loaded a .Zip file into my cloud because of the geographic separation and when I opened it, it was all of these Drupal files and a little trace of XAMPP. I got that program, but know nothing about or how to use it. The last thing I did was use FileZilla and I was able to connect it to GoDadddy and I retrieved everything loaded on there. But, yet again, I have no idea what I am doing!
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, this is out of my realm personally. I'm not a Drupal guy by nature. But usually with something like this it's "upload the files inside the ZIP file to the server and find the installation file and install it accordingly." Without seeing the files in question and having access to them, it's all I can suggest unfortunately.

Hopefully someone who has used Drupal a lot more than I have can shed some light.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I do understand what your saying and I am just starting out on this journey to get his site back up. I am quite leery to hand the files to anyone or on a whim because this is not my work or idea to share and could throw away ten years of his work, hopefully that makes sense. I do really appreciate your reply's and willingness to share some knowledge.

On a different note, what server were you referring to and what would be the file extension for the installation file? As I was playing around with XAMPP, I was able to get into myphp admin; I am guessing this is a server. But I managed to lock myself out and when I try to connect now I only get an error.

Hopefully, I will be able to get to the point where I could help him or someone else sees this post and would be able to aid me along the way.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It would probably be a .php file. Named something like install.php or config.php (I forget with Drupal...I don't use it very much.)

Never used XAMPP at all so I wouldn't even know what to tell you there, except that you won't need it with GoDaddy. XAMPP is for local computer development/testing.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    My concern is how did you manage to lock yourself out of php admin!? I am not sure how different XAMPP is to MAMP, but I did have an issue with php admin not working because of a port issue. I am still not sure how as it had worked perfectly one day n the next the port had to be changed. You may want to check into that for the php admin issue.

If you have questions about GoDaddy I may be able to help. We just got divorced this year and I have been with them for the 2-3 years prior, so I have had my fair share of problems with them that I may be able to help you work out without spending 2hours on hold just to get no where with the tech.

I probably know less about Drupal and WP as most people here. The funnest thing for me is the coding and both limit the amount of coding you need to do. So for that reason I have never really worked with either. Sorry I can't help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I greatly appreciate the willingness to help me answer some questions and pointing me in a direction of sorts.

I do have the install.php file, but what program could I use as an interface to look at the inner workings of the website? Otherwise, I just have a ton of files I can't see what they are or how it looks.

I locked myself out of the phpadmin when I had entered passwords for the root (I believe that is what it was named). I did it with all three root names because there was a message that the name root was not secure because of the lack of a password.

Sorry to hear about your divorce with GoDaddy! There are 2 basic issues I have with the site. It was taken offline to fix the Paypal issue, and I don't know how to reactivate the website. The second is the Paypal thing. From my understanding, when someone went to pay, they clicked on the Paypal link, but nothing would happen because Paypal wasn't talking with GoDaddy to complete the transaction.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuMeiSu View Post
    I greatly appreciate the willingness to help me answer some questions and pointing me in a direction of sorts.

I do have the install.php file, but what program could I use as an interface to look at the inner workings of the website? Otherwise, I just have a ton of files I can't see what they are or how it looks.

I locked myself out of the phpadmin when I had entered passwords for the root (I believe that is what it was named). I did it with all three root names because there was a message that the name root was not secure because of the lack of a password.

Sorry to hear about your divorce with GoDaddy! There are 2 basic issues I have with the site. It was taken offline to fix the Paypal issue, and I don't know how to reactivate the website. The second is the Paypal thing. From my understanding, when someone went to pay, they clicked on the Paypal link, but nothing would happen because Paypal wasn't talking with GoDaddy to complete the transaction.
    Well if you are on a local machine then the root passwords shouldn't be an issue. You aren't going live from your local machine and so an insecure PW for a database on a local machine is ok. I have NO password, thats how worried I am about securing that. When the site goes live its a different story! As far as why PayPal wasn't talking to GoDaddy, or if that was even the issue, its impossible for us to say for sure or even why. We would need to look at it ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I hate to rehash an answer, but the locking out of phpMyAdmin also sounds like an issue for GoDaddy. There would be a database password associated with your site, and that password would be presumably be stored in the MySQL database for your grandfather's site on the GoDaddy server. They should be able to reset it for you and send the new password to whatever email address is on file with GoDaddy.

The PayPal thing would depend on a few things. By default, PayPal doesn't communicate with a site whenever someone is taken to PayPal to pay for something. It usually requires the Express Checkout service to be activated on the merchant's account...in this case, your grandfather's.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/express-checkout <-- this is the Canadian link because I'm from a Toronto suburb, but there is a US equivalent service.

Remove Ads