Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do you like or dislike flat design?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Do you like or dislike flat design?

I dislike it. I realized why after I read somewhere, forgot where , that flat design is harder on your eyes because it doesn't have separation and everything blends in more one element merging into the other.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I haven't heard of that claim before.

To me, I'm good with any design as long as it functions. Worrying about subjective elements has never been a productive use of time to me. Then again, I'm a developer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by larry909 View Post
    I dislike it. I realized why after I read somewhere, forgot where , that flat design is harder on your eyes because it doesn't have separation and everything blends in more one element merging into the other.
    That is BAD flat design. The only thing I can make out of "everything blends" would mean that there is poor contrast. Which no matter what type of design we are talking about, if the contrast is bad, its a bad design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well technically flat designs are good.Design looks good and clean.More importantly flat designs are two dimensionals.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    But your eyes have to strain a bit to separates the elements as opposed to if it had a slight three dimensional look
    Last edited by larry909; Jan 18th, 2016 at 09:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I consider myself to be very good with flat design. In fact I literally CANT build a website not using flat design. I don't know what it is I just suck at it. In my opinion flat design works better and looks cleaner.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by larry909 View Post
    But your eyes have to strain a bit to separates the elements as opposed to if it had a slight three dimensional look

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    Where are you getting this information, Larry?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Admittedly, they are in essence for flat design but its downsides will bring about its downfall, so they say.

[ quote ]
    The Downside of Flat Design

So where does it break down and why will it die? First, taking the emphasis off certain components does not help the user visually organize information at lightning speed, which is the new mobile-driven expectation of consumers and websites or apps. People don't consciously consume all the pixels we pour over in the design process. They skim, scan, and quick-flick scroll on touchscreens looking to be led down a path that makes their visit have a purpose.
    [ end quote ]

https://tackk.com/why-flat-design-will-die

Also:
    http://blog.usabilla.com/flat-design-going-far/
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 18th, 2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added Larry's second link in for him. It was part of a moderated post.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think "flat design" will die as a trend, but not for reasons anywhere near as complex as the ones Tackk mentions. The two major ones are as follows:

1) Something else will come along that is "prettier" but not necessarily more useful than flat design. Web designers, being the trendwhores that they are, will follow it because they evaluate things based on the shiny factor regardless of how rational or functional they may be.

2) A lot of the frameworks that encourage flat design, such as Ronald Roe's personal favo(u)rite Twitter Bootstrap, are growing increasingly bloated. As Google and others place increasing emphasis on load times, the marketers and SEOs eventually reveal their own trendwhorish sides and "encourage" designers to abandon these frameworks in favo(u)r of lighter frameworks and in many cases none at all.

Fortunately in my case, I'm a developer so I'm in the unique position of being able to sit on the outside looking in, see the designer/SEO war, and laugh hysterically at both sides.

A lot of the issues Tackk refers to (conversion ratios, guiding users) aren't specific to flat design, but to site design in general. I think that's where some of the confusion lies as well.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    That is BAD flat design. The only thing I can make out of "everything blends" would mean that there is poor contrast. Which no matter what type of design we are talking about, if the contrast is bad, its a bad design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What I mean to say really is that flat design is flat and lacks depth and therefore you need to spend more milliseconds processing where everything is. Especially when, like microsoft, you do away with a lot of separating lines and elements.
    Vapr_Arts and cooklisa like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads