Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Website Direction

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Website Direction

Hello all!

It has been a while since I have been to this forum.

I am currently working on an Intranet site. The site will consists of Videos (Training tutorials), staff with phone extensions and position information, policies/docs, etc.

I am not sure if this site needs to be fully dynamic or not. I know that there are parts of it I need to accomplish that will be dynamic and most of it can be static. However, I am not sure how to go about this.

To be able to create a search query (client side search box to find content (i.e. videos, staff members, etc.)) for content do I need a database? If I do, how do I manage the database? I can create one from scratch but do I have to edit the database every time I add a new training video or can I somehow automate the database to pick up what new elements I add in HTML?

I have a device status section that I want users to be able to alter so that when anyone opens up the site from any device anywhere, they will see the last known status change of that device. Think of a button that turns red or green depending on what the last user altered for that device. I want the user to click on the button and change the status but then the server remember that status.

DeviceStatus.jpg

I am really lost at this point and my brain is fried after attempting a javascript training course in a short period of 3 or 4 days.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this site?

I don't have a way to show you the site because it's all local right now and will only be intranet once complete but I could upload a zip file of the site if you wanted to look it over.

Thanks for any advice or help!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    For starters, the issue with updating the database is sort of an easy fix. You need to create a page on your site where you can upload new content and have it injected into your Db. That or yes, you pretty much have to insert each video in the db on your own. To get them to display on a page you will use a query that gets all the videos from a table.

You mentioned not being here in a long time? What experiences do you have? Do you know things like php? You also mention just taking a javascript course? Are you new to Js?

I do not wan't to be rude or insult you, but you sound like someone who took a jump into the deep end and then realized you don't really know how to swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I know HTML and CSS pretty well I think. JavaScript is very new to me. I have been designated to create and upkeep an intranet and got thrown in to all of this. I started to work with static pages about a year ago and am pretty comfortable doing so. It's getting the dynamic web site to be my friend that is the hard part since I am just now trying to cram it all in.

I am new to JavaScript. I have written a few very simple scripts to control a CSS class with a toggle and using it to hide and show forms. That's really about it. I just started learning PHP and we just got our Web Server up and running with IIS (not sure what version) along with MYSQL and PHP. I have phpmyadmin installed but working on getting going with it also.

I don't know how to swim in these waters and am trying everything I can to learn from any video tutorial, W3 Schools, SoloLearn, etc. It's one thing to read through the basics of how things work and another to implement a well working coded dynamic website.

So from your statement, yes I am stuck and can't swim but I'm doing everything in my power to get this moving forward with what help I can find along the way.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Woodall View Post
    I know HTML and CSS pretty well I think. JavaScript is very new to me. I have been designated to create and upkeep an intranet and got thrown in to all of this. I started to work with static pages about a year ago and am pretty comfortable doing so. It's getting the dynamic web site to be my friend that is the hard part since I am just now trying to cram it all in.

I am new to JavaScript. I have written a few very simple scripts to control a CSS class with a toggle and using it to hide and show forms. That's really about it. I just started learning PHP and we just got our Web Server up and running with IIS (not sure what version) along with MYSQL and PHP. I have phpmyadmin installed but working on getting going with it also.

I don't know how to swim in these waters and am trying everything I can to learn from any video tutorial, W3 Schools, SoloLearn, etc. It's one thing to read through the basics of how things work and another to implement a well working coded dynamic website.

So from your statement, yes I am stuck and can't swim but I'm doing everything in my power to get this moving forward with what help I can find along the way.
    Well the first thing I will say is that this isn't really a javascript issue. This is a php(server side) issue. You being on a intranet and not have it out to the public may allow for more Js but personally I'd still do this on the server side.

I can't understand why an employer would do this to an employee but I do understand that it happens. Its not your fault but man you really are in over your head! We can help you as much as possible, but depending on the timeframe you have it may be impossible.

Is the site all hand built? Meaning no Wordpress, or any other framework/cms/platform?

Stephen Woodall likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I thought that might be the case. The good news is, there is no real immediate deadline for functionality, just to get the site up. Although, what is the site without functionality? So here I am. I will do everything I can to make it as simple as possible but that may not even be possible.

The site is all hand built from within Dreamweaver. I have a CSS style sheet that isn't fully completed as I am still working on a few things. I will probably wind up creating my external JS sheet because my scripts are getting in the way of readability of my HTML.

It's just me and what I create.

I appreciate your responses.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Ok well the first thing, if you want to show us your work you can use something like JsFiddle. Be sure you are allowed to show us anything that you put up because it will be pretty public.

We need to break this down into smaller steps. Lets start by identifying how many pages you need. By pages I don't mean you should count EVERY PAGE, but you will need a page to show a list of videos and another page to show the selected video. You do not need have an individual page for each video, we will implement the content dynamically. While we are speaking about videos, how often will new videos be uploaded? How many videos do you think will be hosted? Who will upload the videos? Will it be you? Just you?

Stephen Woodall likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here is my list of what I have planned for pages right now:

*training
    *media (logos/animations)
    *forms
    *policies
    *staff
    *events (annual)
    *shoot calendar
    *on-air
    *contacts
    *about us/history
    *site map
    *social
    *FAQ
    *Tech Support

Under training I will need sections for each department of which there are 9 in total. I never thought about having just one video page and then it changing dynamically. That would be fantastic and so much easier to deal with. I was going to plan on making a page for every video...

I will be the only one uploading videos. I'm the only one that makes the videos to upload. It would greatly simplify my life if I could create an upload function just for myself so that I didn't have to go into dreamweaver and edit code every time I wanted to add a video. I will have a new video anytime we get new updates on hardware, software or requests about current work processes. There will be quite a few videos that get uploaded and created to upload later.

I get to do everything...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Ok well the first thing, if you want to show us your work you can use something like JsFiddle. Be sure you are allowed to show us anything that you put up because it will be pretty public.
    I have never heard of JsFiddle before. After looking at the site, do I just copy and paste the code into the text areas and then somehow share a link?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am working on getting the JsFiddle link for you. I have a question. I've looked around for an answer but can't find it. I have an external JavaScript file and I am using JQuery now to push the footer to the bottom of the page. I have 2 script sources... how do I go about this? Do I just take the JQuery script code and place it in my main .js file or do I need to Script sources in my html markup?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, if your web server is running IIS, you can run PHP...but it's generally not the best idea. This is where LaunchFocus' comment about frameworks comes into play: (s)he had the right idea, but the wrong framework. In this case, you'd probably want to use the ASP.net framework and SQL Server, since they were both built specifically to work with IIS. The .NET framework is free, as is SQL Server Express edition.

I'm confused as to your site map, though...at least the pages you've laid out. If this is an intranet site, things such as About Us/History generally aren't necessary as they're usually covered (if at all) in some sort of orientation meeting or seminar. "Welcome, New Members of Yuijitco. Yuijitco has been a world leader in the field of robust infrastructure and redefining global paradigms since 2002, when our glorious founder and president, Rich Asalhel, began fulfilling his dream of one day creating a company that would both satisfy our ever-growing customer base and create a happy and productive working environment that Yuijitco employees will look forward to coming to every single day of their existence."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads