Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thetutguy
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Why old posts are dragged up.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Why old posts are dragged up.

I am just a Jr. member here but even I can tell you why some old posts are dragged up. You see it is not all the responders fault it is primarily the fault of the designer of this site. You see the threads which show up on top are the threads with the most recent entries. There is an element which alters the sorting order but seemingly not by the means certain members would prefer it. People constantly ask why old posts are getting dragged up. Well if there were an option to sort based on the initial entry date then we may not have this problem.

My thinking is who ever designed this site knew by sorting by initial entry date a lot of not so new but still ongoing threads would be lost in the process.

Keep in mind this is for people who don't use the advanced settings which may or may not be the majority of users.
    Last edited by Thetutguy; Mar 08th, 2016 at 03:52 PM.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Maybe? Im not sure, like I said in your other thread I am typically on my phone and its structured differently. There are dates that appear however so while you may see a thread that is old towards the top you can easily see when the last post was made.

Like I also said in another of your posts, most people do not drag up old threads to actually contribute, they do it to increase their post count. Another funny coincidence is that those that do this typically do not stay long. Not sure if its the work of our great mods, or if its just the nature of the beast. They get in, raise their posts so they can drop some links and then disappear.

Again, in your situation I can almost say for certain that that is not your motive. You are in a small percentile that are doing it to actually contribute to the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What you're talking about isn't on the designer of the site, but a feature by design associated with vBulletin. It sorts the threads in descending order of date something was last entered into it in order to ensure that the "newest, freshest threads" show up first. There is a logic to that, as old threads probably show up.

There is, however, an option (or so I've read) within vBulletin to auto-close threads longer than X days old. If anything, that's what should be activated.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am not sure but I think when someone replay on a post, it comes on the first of the list.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You bumped a thread related to irrelevant post bumping to add an irrelevant post?

Buddy...you need to read things before you comment.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads