Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What host for Beginner websites?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

What host for Beginner websites?

Hi,

I am a recent graduated from the college and I am developing an website to be my portfolio, but I am new on web dev, and I'like to know if I should pay for a host and domain or if there is any free option, or which one is the best for a starter.

Thanks
    HanaDiaz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    What are you building? Is it a website that you want to go live and be seen by others? Or is it a sandbox for you to play and learn?

If its just to learn, use something like WAMP/MAMP/LAMP to create a local server and have everything run on your local computer.

If its for an actual site and you expect people to visit, I would avoid anything free. Hosting is a major piece of any site. Its literally the hardware that gets everything going. It can make or break you in some situations.

So... What are you building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    In the short run, just dev locally. The reason for this is to develop the site and build it out, building your skills as you go, then release the finished product once it's done. There are a number of ways to do dev before release, so don't get in the habit of building on the live domain. No one who will hire you will be developing on their live site. And if someone tries to hire you does that, run far away.

My favorite is to set up a Cloud9 (http://c9.io) instance and dev on there. It requires an active internet connection, but the environment is ready to go all the time.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    I need help File Zilla Please!
    I've uploaded files thru File Zilla, using Public_html, The index page does not display. The second page of the website comes up instead. Any ideas as to what I have done?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    Quote Originally Posted by densantos View Post
    Hi,

I am a recent graduated from the college and I am developing an website to be my portfolio, but I am new on web dev, and I'like to know if I should pay for a host and domain or if there is any free option, or which one is the best for a starter.

Thanks
    This really doesn't explain much. What will be the purpose of your website? I know you mention your portfolio but what is your portfolio intended to accomplish? You have your bachelors degree but what is your area of expertise? It will make a lot of difference if you were a business major or majored in web design or just about anything else. So what is your starting point and where do you want to get to?

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donna17 View Post
    I need help File Zilla Please!
    I've uploaded files thru File Zilla, using Public_html, The index page does not display. The second page of the website comes up instead. Any ideas as to what I have done?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You need to start your own thread in the HTML section. This is off topic in this thread.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm not sure which website builder is best for you? A simple page bearing information can do such wonders that it’s become so important for businesses to develop their own web presence. Prior to going through any advertisement in the newspaper, magazine or phone, it is natural for your customers to surf through your website and acquire more information about your business.

Use the following website builders; websitebuilderexpert.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I’m personally using bluehost. And the experience with bluehost is very good for online shopping site. I think for beginners Bluehost & siteground may be the best choice. But for big website I think Traffic planet hosting is best.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Is this still thread still up? I'm very new to web development. And hey i'm a big noob. So all your help will be appreciated. Don't have any experience with codes, except python for 30 minutes max. hahah. So yeah, 0 experience. So lets get this thread back up... 'bout host sites!

What can or can't they do against each other or are they all the same?

I don't talk in code (but would really love to learn)
    anyway im going to do a comparison... Lets say Hostgator vs 000webhost. one's free. And I know, that speed is likely to be faster, and storage space is likelier to be bigger, and uptime. Hostgator in this case also provides SSL Certificates (No clue what they are) and ...

unlimited Email addresses (Can't I create email addresses by myself on Gmail or any other mailing platforms unlimitedly *confused* ) I know it has something to do with mailing on the website... ? Would also like to get an answer for that. What are mailing options on a webhosting site? Is it required? When's the best case scenario when I need something like this.

Help and Replies would be appreciated, Don't hate me. just want to catch 'em all and be the best

Member #
    Liked
    2782 times
    They're not all the same. Most are similar in that they're not suitable for anyone doing business-related stuff.

Ultimately, the best host is the one that will supply you with the resources that you require to do the things that you need to do and will grow as your needs do. So there really isn't a one-size-fits all answer. I prefer www.sectorlink.com by a wide margin, but then again I do some pretty unusual stuff when it comes to building websites. They support all of the things I do.

SSL certificates are used by websites to encrypt sensitive data (such as credit card info). Email addresses relate to (email)@(yourdomain.com). That's what it has to do with. It's misleading because you're limited by the storage space on your server, but most people never reach those limits.

If you're talking about support, as long as it's 24/7 and the response time is quick, it really doesn't matter. Ideally, they'll have phone and email, but at the very least they'll have email support.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads