Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: What's the Process?

Member #

What's the Process?

I am searching Upwork for a web developer to create a website for me. I am curious what the process is typically like for a web developer.

I currently have a domain. It is hosted by GoDaddy. How do you go about getting the website onto the domain? Meaning, is it customary to give the developer access to your account some way(non-administrative) or do developers typically create the website locally and provide the files which you would upload yourself?

Thank you for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Typically, there is no typically.

As a developer, I usually create the website locally and then upload the files to the server as I complete them so that you wouldn't have to get involved. You'd have to give me access in order to do that, but that's my usual process.

Two things I'd suggest:

1) Don't host on GoDaddy. The reason...they lose files that hosts should never lose (e.g. databases).
    2) Make sure you actually need a developer and not a designer. There's a difference. The very oversimplified definition (and someone will inevitably take this out of context and get angry) is that designers come up with pretty stuff and developers get it to work.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Typically I build locally and upload the project to the host using an FTP client. As the owner of the domain you can create a special FTP account specifically for me, and once the project is done you can delete the FTP account and I will lose access.

I'd also like to echo Game's comment about GoDaddy. I used them for 2 years and it was a nightmare! I'd get out of contract with them as soon as possible!

As for Game's second suggestion, as a designer I do not see how anyone could disagree with this. We do do the pretty stuff, and for the most part thats it. As soon as I start to code anything that doesn't make the sites visually more attractive or is more logic/backend I then am no longer a designer, but am now the developer.

Not many do both well and for good reason. You want to make sure which one you need or if you need both. The best way to do that here would be to create a post and explain what your project is. I'd post it in the marketplace section, and you could possibly find what you are looking for here on this forum. We have a lot of talented people here. You may get a few responses from unqualified people but if you check their post history those will quickly be spotted. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Of course no one can disagree with what I said. I'm always right, except when I'm wrong, and I'm not wrong here!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong, you know, and I'm sorry cause I could be wrong right now, I could be wrong, but if I'm right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Remove Ads