Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

GSM, Sensors, Command Centre, Monitoring

Dear Members,

Apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong forum, but I really need this to be answered and I will appreciate if you can help me out.

I hope we all know about Home security alarm systems (such as ADT), these systems typically include

PIR motion detection sensors

Magnetic 2 part sensors for doors

Fire/smoke sensors

Key fobs

A central panel

The central panel contains a SIM, to use GSM based communication with pre-set numbers to send notifications in case of break-in or fire /smoke.

I guess this is the elementary stuff for experts here!

Anyway, these companies (like ADT) also maintain a ‘Command centre’ or ‘Control centre’ to provide a 24X7 monitoring service, command centre are used to monitor these thousands of security alarms installed at client’s houses.

I want to setup a command centre for my clients for very similar services. And I need to know what sort of software solution are available to manage/operate such command centre?

The command centre software should be able to monitor these installations using GSM connectivity with central panel installed at client’s home.

It should be able to send a heart beat signal using GSM interface (I guess , that’s the only way, cause land line can be disconnected and power can shut down (so no wifi)) to do the health check for the components installed? (* command centre will communicate with central panel only, but I hope central panel can do a quick check that other sensors are working? Thus a positive response confirming that everything is working or not!, can it be done??)

In case of fire or intrusion, the central panel at client’s home itself will send the messages/call to pre-set numbers, but command centre should also be notified (to take manual action, if needed).

Command centre should be able to monitor (in case of intrusion/fire), that out of 5 pre-set numbers (in a order of priority) who has picked the call and who has not, (so command centre operative can make a manual call!).

I can list down some more requirements but I guess you smart people have got the idea.

Could you please suggest if there are ready made softwares with such capabilities and purpose? Or do I need to get one developed from scratch (I doubt that!), is there any open source software for this purpose?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    There is no question? It would be best if you gave us as much information as you can.

Im personally not able to help answer anything about the things mentioned in the title, as I know very little to nothing about them. There may be someone here who can help you though, and it would be best if they knew exactly what you were curious about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Seems to be asking about software for monitoring home security systems.

Fairly far off-topic, and if you google phrases from the post you'll see it's been posted on at least 4 other forums today. Someone here may know enough to help, but I suspect you'd get much more informed responses in a forum dedicated to home security.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Yea seems he took my advice to include more info. That wasn't there the first time I saw it.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
    Dear Members,

Apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong forum, but I really need this to be answered and I will appreciate if you can help me out.

I hope we all know about Home security alarm systems (such as ADT), these systems typically include

PIR motion detection sensors

Magnetic 2 part sensors for doors

Fire/smoke sensors

Key fobs

A central panel

The central panel contains a SIM, to use GSM based communication with pre-set numbers to send notifications in case of break-in or fire /smoke.

I guess this is the elementary stuff for experts here!

Anyway, these companies (like ADT) also maintain a ‘Command centre’ or ‘Control centre’ to provide a 24X7 monitoring service, command centre are used to monitor these thousands of security alarms installed at client’s houses.

I want to setup a command centre for my clients for very similar services. And I need to know what sort of software solution are available to manage/operate such command centre?

The command centre software should be able to monitor these installations using GSM connectivity with central panel installed at client’s home.

It should be able to send a heart beat signal using GSM interface (I guess , that’s the only way, cause land line can be disconnected and power can shut down (so no wifi)) to do the health check for the components installed? (* command centre will communicate with central panel only, but I hope central panel can do a quick check that other sensors are working? Thus a positive response confirming that everything is working or not!, can it be done??)

In case of fire or intrusion, the central panel at client’s home itself will send the messages/call to pre-set numbers, but command centre should also be notified (to take manual action, if needed).

Command centre should be able to monitor (in case of intrusion/fire), that out of 5 pre-set numbers (in a order of priority) who has picked the call and who has not, (so command centre operative can make a manual call!).

I can list down some more requirements but I guess you smart people have got the idea.

Could you please suggest if there are ready made softwares with such capabilities and purpose? Or do I need to get one developed from scratch (I doubt that!), is there any open source software for this purpose?
    I wouldn't doubt the need for a dev. Not many people would need this as open source so it's unlikely you will find something open source. There may be a paid service but even that is iffy. I'd assume most companies have their own developed. Especially for something dealing with security.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
    Even if any such software does exist, you really don't want it!

Why? - security of course. Any software that is out in the public shifts the advantage to hackers. You would need a software developer agreeing to a non-disclosure clause and all programming would have to be stored in a secure location. Even after the program has been completed you would still need to keep the programmer busy improving the software and plugging any openings that hackers might utilize.
    Last edited by delstu; May 10th, 2016 at 09:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I don't expect to change the minds of anyone with a strong opinion on the matter, so I'll just say that it's far from a universally accepted truth that open source software is inherently less secure than proprietary alternatives. Closed, proprietary software is by no means an assurance of security, and many have argued that the opposite is actually true.

Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    You may well be right Kevin. After all, I am not a programmer and certainly not an expert in anything. Open source stuff I have used has had its problems at times (during updates) but none of those were in the security field so that may be different.

Remove Ads