Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there,

I've just been given the criteria for my latest piece of I.T. coursework, and wondered whether you lot could help me out.

I have the choice of two projects, a), or b). I would like some opinions on which one I should choose, as my I.T. teacher said that people generally get better marks on choice b), but what do you think?
    I have to cover 22 different "Key Skills" in the coursework, as well as create this.

a) Produce a short, illustrated children's book. This should include:
    • a suitable cover;
    • an advert for the write on the back cover;
    • a simple story in a suitable easy to read font;
    • illustrations, which could be clip art/pics from the internet.
    b) Produce a promotion package for a newly formed company. This should include:
    • a suitable logo for the company;
    • a business card;
    • letter headed paper (possiby footered as well);
    • an introdcutory leaflet, suitable for presentation to a prospective client, giving brief details offered by the company.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I could never write an IT document for little kids but I tend to be a pretty good business writer when I want to. Whatever you're best at.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hmm... it's hard to do either. I would strongly suggest coming up with specifics before doing this... or do it on an existing story/business. It's a lot harder than peopel think to just make things up as you go along... It'd probably more work to do the promo package than the childrens book.. but yeah, your choice.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't see how either one really relates to IT. Personally though, I'd go with B. It's more businesslike and practical.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The second option seems like it would have more use for you in the real world. These two options seem mostly unrelated to each other. If the teacher says students get better grades on the second option, that's probably the project s/he would prefer students choose.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well.. I'm assuming here, but GCSE last time I checked had to do with general education, standard classes everyone has to take towards a degree. For example, I'm not going to be using literature in Civil Engineering, but I still have to take the class. It sounds a lot like a technical communication course to me.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

JR
    Member #
    Yes Brak, GCSE is academical and there is something called GNVQ which is vocational. When I was at school I did a GNVQ in ICT. But what he is explaining sounds more vocational to me, maybe it is VGCSE (Vocational GCSE).

Personally I would do the second one.
    JR

Member #
    Its the 1st piece of coursework on my GCSE Short Course (the second being a data handling piece)
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Remove Ads