Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon

Thread: Heat

Member #
    Liked
    176 times

Heat

12 years ago my husband, and his family, did a beautiful restoration of an old 1800's 2 story barn about 200 feet from our home and made it into offices for my growing business. Not far behind this barn is a beautiful mountain stream and then a mountain.

For years we could open the doors and windows and cool air flowed through and kept us very comfortable and the air always smelled fresh and sweet in the early morning coming off the mountain.

About 5 years ago we had to put in air conditioning and have had to use it maybe a couple of weeks during the hot August we have here.

The past two weeks the heat has been a beast here in our valley and today, we have 101 degrees with a heat index of 106. We've never experienced this kind of heat like this before in our valley.

My dress code has always been. make sure your body is covered without going x rated and if you have tats of any kind, make sure they're covered too. Most of the time everyone bops around in shorts, no shoes and tees on.

Today our air conditioners cannot cool our well insulated barn, I've had to turn a head, it's getting x rated in here and I'm not saying a word to anyone.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jul 25th, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    We must have very, very different definitions of X rated. That, or I'm a little curious what your "growing business" is exactly. :P
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Well, lets hope that Bleau Canon's post helps those women owned business deal with when it gets hot as it has been and not a way to deal with when business gets slow.

I do think this is one of the hotter dryer summers I can recall and sure wish after 4 trips to the shop they could get the A/C fixed in my pickup. I am sure a lot of Air Conditioners are having a hard time keeping up with this hot streak. Hopefully things will cool off a bit.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Since there are no males in here among the 19 of us, other than a husband or grand dad showing up sometimes, my dress code is keep it simple and for the past two weeks keep it as cool as you can and still wear some clothes. We also have a lot of electronics in here that add to the heat.

Our clients are from all over the place and they very seldom come into the office. On a good day we're a 30 minute drive on a 1.5 lane gravel road to the nearest paved road and then about another 20 or so minutes to the nearest town. We have a nursery, a play ground and a nanny for the girls that have kids. We have a few retired, and not retired, corp people that live here in this valley, and have their offices at their homes. One lady owns a large insurance company and her offices are located in her basement. It's a chosen way of lifestyle for them.

This morning at 7am it was 80 degrees here and that's our usual highest temps during the summer afternoons. We're hearing this from all over the country. I took 2 of our daughters to their regular dental appointments yesterday and the air conditioner in my Jeep had a difficult time keeping cool. The dentist office was also having air conditioning problems and was on a waiting list to be checked.

When I got here 20 years ago the weather was much different. Cool enough at night sometimes to wear light jackets outside and no one had an air conditioner.

Is this what global warming is all about? I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on why our weather has changed like it has.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jul 26th, 2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    my dress code is keep it simple and for the past two weeks keep it as cool as you can and still wear some clothes.

Our clients are from all over the place and they very seldom come into the office.
    If the heat lasts don't be surprised if more clients start dropping in.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    If the heat lasts don't be surprised if more clients start dropping in.
    Turboguy, does you and Ronald's wives know you have such thoughts?

Well, there is only one road and one entrance into this valley. You drive almost up to the top of a mountain and down into the valley where you will be met with a closed gate with security on it. I think that's called latched key with security. The only way though that gate is be a resident or get invited in. There is another valley close to us that's the same way.

When a client wants to visit this office we have to approve it and meet them at the gate. When friends come for visits they call from the gate and we approve them driving to our homes.

Our daughters inherited a big part of this place from their grand parents which is a farm. They grow only grain crops to feed their horses and all the other residents horses, Right now they're combining a 250 area oat field and it looks like a dust storm has settled in here. The temp outside right now is 102 degrees.

How has your wife adjusted to the American lifestyle? I talked to a girl from Perm recently. She said she had been here over a year and still wasn't so sure she liked living in Atlanta.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jul 26th, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Turboguy, does you and Ronald's wives know you have such thoughts?
    Everyone has to have a few secrets their spouse doesn't know about.

My wife has adapted well and seems to like her life here. We have lived in small towns and she was from Barnaul, population 800,000 and for a long time wished we lived in a big city. She seems to have gotten over that a lot now. We live not all that far from Pittsburgh and she likes to go into Pittsburgh and explore. At one time she wanted to try moving to downtown Pittsburgh to see if she liked it but that would have been a real pain and I am glad she got through that phase.

She seemed to have a pretty easy time of adapting. Of course I helped as much as I could. Sometimes it can be tough on both sides. For instance when I taught her to drive. On the second day we were on back roads in the small town we lived in and she made a right turn and just kept turning until she ran into a house doing about $ 5,000 in damage to my pickup and nearly giving the 85 year old lady who lived in the house a heart attack. Fortunately the house was brick and there was no damage to the house. With her being on her permit I didn't want to turn that in to the insurance so I paid that out of my own pocket.

She has been here just a few months short of 9 years. She does go back for a visit every year or two and brings her mom for a visit every few years as well. There are not a lot of Russian ladies in our area but she does have a handful of friends from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus that she gets together with. She had a degree from Russia but redid the whole thing here with an accounting degree and graduated Suma Cum Lade with a perfect 4.0 average. She works 3 partial days a week in my business handling the accounting. The gal we had before worked 40 hours and could never keep up. My wife does the same thing but far better in less than half that time. She doesn't do anything on web sites but when I was doing my first WordPress site I was stuck on something for a few hours, She came in my office and fixed the problem in two minutes.

The good thing is that she seems to have finally given up on "fixing" me. She used to keep after me for all kinds of things, using too much salt, eating bad foods, wearing comfortable shoes rather than attractive shoes. Now I think she has finally realized that I am hopeless and fixing me is a hopeless project.

So, she has done well at adapting. Sometimes when her mom visits and goes back she may cry a bit for a few days but all in all she likes it here and seems able to put up with me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    When I got here 20 years ago the weather was much different. Cool enough at night sometimes to wear light jackets outside and no one had an air conditioner.

Is this what global warming is all about? I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on why our weather has changed like it has.
    As someone who lives in the heart of Weather and Climate Alarmist Propaganda Nation led by Indoctrinator in Chief David Suzuki:

I have never subscribed to either the global warming theory nor its "anthropogenic climate change" successor. The major issue that exists right now is none of the projection models have been demonstrated to work on even a small or short-term scale, yet we're somehow supposed to suspend our disbelief long enough to accept a doomsday proclamation that usually rears its ugly head right about the time it gets hot, cold, rainy, sunny, dry, cloudy, clear, windy, and/or calm outside. The more extreme the weather event, the louder the screaming.

"Ice storm! CLIMATE CHANGE!"
    "Heat wave! GLOBAL WARMING!"
    "It's raining! EL NINO!"

I wouldn't have a problem with any of this nonsense except that this is what leads to idiocy such as cap-and-trade, "revenue neutral" carbon taxes, and as the video indicates brainwashing of children. There are legitimate, rational reasons to be "eco-friendly" (reduction of waste saves money, cutting down on printing saves paper costs, etc.), and people should take full advantage of those things. The propaganda goes way too far on this issue, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    @TheGame...Here's what most people think where I live.

"Ice Storm"... WOW sure am glad my pantry is full of food cause "we are stuck in here until it thaws", and sure am glad the propane tank is full to run our generators when the power goes off, and we have plenty of firewood for our wood stoves.

"Heat Wave"...WOW it's HOT today. I may have to go sit in a stream to cool off.

"It's Raining"...Well, we need the rain but sure hope the creeks stay within their banks. But, our daughters told us this morning at breakfast. Sure hope it stays dry today and tomorrow until we can get that 250 acres of hay on the ground baled and in the hay barn..sure all the animals here are thinking the same thing. So, a lot of us will have an even hotter two afternoons when we help put their hay in the top of their hay barn while they're baling it and bringing it to us.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...and all of those are logical, reasonable ways to deal with the weather.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads