Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By bleau canon

Thread: Snookered! Well Maybe Not

Member #
    Liked
    176 times

Snookered! Well Maybe Not

Most of us that work professionally in the world of the internet have to deal with some "punk thug marketeers" at times and they don't want to take no for an answer. One of our daughters describes them as well trained bs artist from da hood.

One of our very small mom and pop clients, that own a well known family restaurant of many years, that has to turn people away or you wait in line for 45 minutes to get in and hope they still have some fried chicken and mashed potatoes left, got a call this week from one of the top name internet marketing companies. You know the ones you see that try to flood the front page of every search string.

Punk thug:
    We can carry your business to a new level with a small investment.
    Client: Not interested.

Punk thug: Do you have anyone marketing your business for you in the internet?
    Client: We don't need marketing in the internet and if we did our business management firm would do that for us As a matter of fact, our web developer from our management firm recently took new photos here in our restaurant.

Punk thug:
    Oh my goodness no web developer in the world can market your business in the internet. It's takes professionals like us to do that. Businesses are losing money everyday because of web developers not knowing what they're doing.
    Client: Sorry, not interested.

This punk thug wouldn't give up and went on to tell them for an initial investment of $2250.00. a $250.00 month recurring fee and a $1.21 pay per click ad we'll move your business to the top of the internet. Let's get all parties in a conference call right now and let me explain to everyone what you'll be seeing in return for your investment.

Client: Ok, call us back in 30 minutes.
    Punk thug: I'll certainly do that and I'm sure everyone will agree to this deal I'm offering you.

The call back:
    Hello, do I have all necessary parties ready to discuss your marketing campaign in the internet?

Hi, yes I"m the person you need to talk to and one of the decision makers for this business.
    Punk thug: Great, and who might I be talking to?

I'm Scoot, the inhouse international corporate attorney for xxxxxxxx international business management and consulting firm. I also have in my office the web developer and accountant for this restaurant client of ours. (My attorney niece adopted from Thailand when she was 8 years old)

Punk thug: I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong business...click.

I posted this, just as a word of caution to anyone with a small business, thinking paying an internet marketing firm an outrageous amount of money will get you rich, especially with a $1.21 pay per click ad.

Every web developer, especially the ones that do SEM, should make your clients aware of this and if someone does contact your clients tell your clients to tell them to call and discuss it with you.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 25th, 2016 at 07:43 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My clients just pass those guys on to me now...well, they try to. They say "we're too busy with customers right now, but if you can get approval from our web developer Adam we'll be happy to listen to your pitch." Most of them never call me. I wonder why that is.

I've even answered the phone a few times on behalf of clients in their locations over the years and talked to them. Those calls are fun. I wish I could record them.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    My clients just pass those guys on to me now...well, they try to. They say "we're too busy with customers right now, but if you can get approval from our web developer Adam we'll be happy to listen to your pitch." Most of them never call me. I wonder why that is.

I've even answered the phone a few times on behalf of clients in their locations over the years and talked to them. Those calls are fun. I wish I could record them.
    Those calls can be fun and we go though this several times a month. We tell our clients if anyone calls about your business refer them to us and we'll handled it. This client did the correct thing, sames as your clients, and called us.When the punk thug called her back we were ready. She put him on hold and transferred the call to us.

Last Sunday we were having lunch at this restaurant after church. While we were there she told us they had already had to turn down 28 people because of no room. They don't need marketing, they've got so much business now they're getting ready to add another dining room. They've been like this for 57 years.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 25th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    But businesses can always grow! Just because they've reached their capacity doesn't mean they can't take on more business! Well...that's exactly what it means, but it doesn't mean what it means if you know what I mean!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads