Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wordpress Theme

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Wordpress Theme

Kinda new at testing out different themes. I was hoping someone could answer this question.

I found a really cool theme but the loading speed is really slow. I know there are things I can do, but is this common. Sometimes the trade off for a theme with a lot of bells and whistles loads slower?
    masud49 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Also is it true the number of plugins influence load speed too?

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Yes, plugins can slow your site down. It can be one of the factors. It is better to delete any plugins you are not using and don't need. You might also try optimizing your banner photos for the web. It may speed things up a bit.
    Wicked Web Design likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What do you mean Optimize banner photo's? Size them smaller?

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    No, if you sized them smaller they would be smaller and that would not be good. Many photo editing programs have an option that will be something like "save for the web. It is usually where save and save as is located. Using that option will allow you to reduce the size (in kb) of the image without a noticeable effect on the clarity of the photo and no change in the actual size of the photo.

I use Photoshop. I am not sure if Gimp which is a free program (I believe) has that feature or not since I have never used it buy many photo editing programs will allow you to optimize your photo.

Just as one example a while back I was starting to run a banner ad on a major forum for my industry. The ad I created was an animated gif. I sent them the file and they said it was too big and they couldn't accept it. I pulled it up in Photoshop and saved it for the web and it came out every bit as clear but 70% smaller in terms of file size.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    I just took a look at your web site and I don't think doing anything with the photos is going to help. The reason it is so slow is that there is so much to load and I think you are just going to have to put up with it. It didn't look all that slow for me but it definitely wasn't fast.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    The reason it is so slow is that there is so much to load and I think you are just going to have to put up with it.
    That is never the answer. There is always a better way.

The theme loads slowly for a number of reasons. The response time is most likely slow due to lots of plugins. Check through the plugins and see what you don't really need. Then delete them, don't just disable them. Even disabled, a portion of the plugin's code must be run in order to check if it's disabled so it can not run the rest of it.

Response time is less a problem than the site overall. Server side stuff will usually only hold you back on the response time, unless there are a lot of AJAX requests for content. If that's the case, you have much bigger fish to fry, and if there's no option to turn it off, this theme needs to go. EDIT: after taking a look, this is exactly what's going on. 12.6 of the 12.7Mb is AJAX requests, mostly for videos.

Your site loads slowly because it's huge, with a lot of resources. The total page weight is 12.7Mb. That's absurdly huge.

A large part of that is likely the highly unnecessary video.

All of that said, you're a web design agency. Dropping a theme someone else built on a server and adding a custom logo is not going to get you very far. It's especially short sighted to do it for your own site. Take some time to learn how to build websites.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey Thanks for your input Ron,

Actually I'm an SEO Agency that does a little web design. The name of my SEO doesn't fit well with web design, thus the name Wicked Web Design.

Aren't Theme's for that very thing? To purchase then create the website? Maybe I'm missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    That is never the answer. There is always a better way.

The theme loads slowly for a number of reasons. The response time is most likely slow due to lots of plugins. Check through the plugins and see what you don't really need. Then delete them, don't just disable them. Even disabled, a portion of the plugin's code must be run in order to check if it's disabled so it can not run the rest of it.

Response time is less a problem than the site overall. Server side stuff will usually only hold you back on the response time, unless there are a lot of AJAX requests for content. If that's the case, you have much bigger fish to fry, and if there's no option to turn it off, this theme needs to go. EDIT: after taking a look, this is exactly what's going on. 12.6 of the 12.7Mb is AJAX requests, mostly for videos.

Your site loads slowly because it's huge, with a lot of resources. The total page weight is 12.7Mb. That's absurdly huge.

A large part of that is likely the highly unnecessary video.

All of that said, you're a web design agency. Dropping a theme someone else built on a server and adding a custom logo is not going to get you very far. It's especially short sighted to do it for your own site. Take some time to learn how to build websites.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Web Design View Post
    Hey Thanks for your input Ron,

Actually I'm an SEO Agency that does a little web design. The name of my SEO doesn't fit well with web design, thus the name Wicked Web Design.

Aren't Theme's for that very thing? To purchase then create the website? Maybe I'm missing something?
    First of all, you can't be an "SEO Agency that does a little web design." There is a strong overlap between the two elements and SEO for the most part is web design.

Second, themes have a minimal practical application and their purpose has been greatly overstated by the web design industry (a major reason reason why web design as a whole moves at the speed of a glacier). If you're a designer...and by the way, I'm not so I can actually make this statement...you're marketing your ability to design. To create. To make art. To be original. What does a theme do for you if you're a designer? Unless you created the theme yourself...and in most cases designers who use themes don't...absolutely nothing. It's not your work. You're "designing" someone else's work.

Let's draw an analogy here. Let's say you were going to design a car, but as part of your design you were going to take the body of a Ford Fusion from an accident salvage, buff out a few of the scratches, smooth out the bumps and dings, and maybe give it a little touchup paint job. Now you take a wrecker Acura that you also found and replace its body with the Ford Fusion body. You take your subsequent Frankenstein car and you call it "Wicked Car" and you sell your Wicked Car to thousands of customers. Is it your car? No. Is it your design? No. Are customers being misled? Absolutely.

Designers shouldn't use themes. The only people who should use themes are people who have otherwise compelling sites and content but aren't designers and don't necessarily need designers to get what they want...this primarily applies to personal and hobby sites. Nothing professional.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No offense taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    First of all, you can't be an "SEO Agency that does a little web design." There is a strong overlap between the two elements and SEO for the most part is web design.

Second, themes have a minimal practical application and their purpose has been greatly overstated by the web design industry (a major reason reason why web design as a whole moves at the speed of a glacier). If you're a designer...and by the way, I'm not so I can actually make this statement...you're marketing your ability to design. To create. To make art. To be original. What does a theme do for you if you're a designer? Unless you created the theme yourself...and in most cases designers who use themes don't...absolutely nothing. It's not your work. You're "designing" someone else's work.

Let's draw an analogy here. Let's say you were going to design a car, but as part of your design you were going to take the body of a Ford Fusion from an accident salvage, buff out a few of the scratches, smooth out the bumps and dings, and maybe give it a little touchup paint job. Now you take a wrecker Acura that you also found and replace its body with the Ford Fusion body. You take your subsequent Frankenstein car and you call it "Wicked Car" and you sell your Wicked Car to thousands of customers. Is it your car? No. Is it your design? No. Are customers being misled? Absolutely.

Designers shouldn't use themes. The only people who should use themes are people who have otherwise compelling sites and content but aren't designers and don't necessarily need designers to get what they want...this primarily applies to personal and hobby sites. Nothing professional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads