Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: MarketPlace - Doubts

Member #

MarketPlace - Doubts

Hello,

I'm from Brazil, sorry for any english mistakes in my text. I've been trying to solve some doubts regarding to MarketPlaces, but its been hard to find someone here to give a concrete opinion about my subject.

I'm the owner of a Shopping Mall here, our city has 3 million habitants, and the shopping has 450 small business, all stores have around 7m2, they're very small, almost in every situation the owner himself stays in the front desk, at maximum 1 employee. The main idea of the mall is working with low prices, since the rent they pay is very small.

They sell goods like cosmetics, cheap jewels, iPhone cases, clothing to mention a few.

My thoughts were to build a marketplace website, as the main website of the mall, where all the products were shown online, separated i.e. by stores, prices, speciality or how the costumer choose.

They could buy anything in a huge variety without having to go there, and with almost no freight. Since we're thinking in a cheap way of deliver. And they could get the goods in the same day, depending at what time they buy.

Besides this costumers that were going to go there but choose/prefer to buy online, we could have an massive SEO work to get to all other people that search for this kinds of products online in our city get to buy in our MarketPlace.

Is this a foolish idea? I haven't seen anything like this around... or maybe i haven't searched enough.

Sorry again for any english mistakes.

Any help and idea is a big step for me.

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I may be missing something, but this sounds a lot like say Amazon or Rakuten.
    Pinon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yes, it's kinda like Amazon, but we wouldn't have prices to aim for other cities, since the freight would turn it expensive in 90% of the situations.

Here in Brazil we don't have Amazon, there's some similar companies, but not like them. My goal would not be to compete with these companies.

The market I'm aiming is the local Market of 3 million people who look for something to buy in the internet and might see us as vendor, paying almost no freight and with a fair price. Since we will have 400 stores in our shopping, we may easily have more than 10.000 items on our site.

But i don't see any Shopping mall doing anything like this, maybe because it's a bad idea. lol

Our shopping will not have franchises, like Calvin Klein, GAP, Sunglass Hut etc... The majority of business are "nameless" brands, with a very good price and quality.

Imagine someone in his house but don't want to get out to buy but searching in the internet sees a bracelet that he/she loves and could buy it and get it in the same day for a very fair price.... Or someone who's eventually looking for a bracelet and while searching sees our site and seeing the freight and merchandising price decides to buy.

Is it hard to do as a website designer? This MarketPlace Platform?

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Setting up the marketplace may not be all that hard but managing 10,000 products is going to take a lot of time. I am also assuming products and prices could change fairly often so keeping that all up to date will take a small team of people.
    Pinon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Having done similar platforms: it's not a design question. It's a development question. And yes, it can be quite involved because there are two major components:

1) Setting up the cart with at least one vendor. The products. The variants (size, color, shape, etc.) The prices. The images. The shipping. The taxes. The payment processing. The order fulfillment. The customer service.

2) Multiplying that by all of your vendors and then adding an exponential factor for each of the curveballs the vendors will throw at you (that they only can ship to X area, product Y only goes on sale for one day, they want to bulk update prices, etc).

It sounds simple, but it's all kinds of nasty. The good thing in your case is that you at least have a niche of sorts for your idea. The bad thing is that the development costs may be such that it won't be worth it.
    Pinon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads