Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Social media?

Member #

Social media?

If you had only one choice as to which social media location/site you could participate in which one would it be?
    - Facebook
    - Twitter
    - Google
    - Discus
    - Linkiden
    - Other
    I don't presently participate in any of this stuff but from what I see most of the content is in my opinion gossip
    type useless info I have no interest in.
    That said however it is my understanding that there are sites that are exceptions to this and could
    actually be of some benefit if one was contemplating a small e-commerce business endeavor.
    A brief explanation as to why you would choose one over another would be helpful also.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Of the ones you listed for me it would be Facebook. For me however YouTube is wonderful and Facebook is just ok but worthwhile.

Member #
    Liked
    2765 times
    For business, there isn't one. LinkedIn would be the closest, but even then, it's basically the net result of two ticket scalpers meeting up and trying to sell each other their tickets. There isn't a lot of actual business being done there, if any.

The problem is precisely what you've hit upon; social media sites are, for the most part, not business sites. They're "social". They're not buying audiences for the most part, even when they're "engaged" with your business. They've turned into the modern-day dumbed-down equivalent of community access cable TV channels...any idiot can say anything for any reason for "free" but they're not really there to buy anything.

I've actually had this reconfirmed recently thanks to the client of a client of a client of mine (yes, it goes three levels deep). The second-level client is a major player in the photography and graphics circles, and the third-level client is an even bigger player in web design circles...without naming names, I'll say if you haven't heard of both of the companies in question, you need to switch industries. At any rate, the third-level client is attempting to draw "brand engagement" and awareness through the second level client via a site I helped build and help maintain with my client. So third-level client decides to spend tens of thousands of dollars on Facebook ads, possibly in the hundreds of thousands (I'm not privy to the budget, but it's definitely up there). They spent money on money on money like you and I might throw pennies into a slot machine and "engaged" and "connected" on "social"...for five sales. Five sales. And the gross profit on each sale is less than $10. A minimum of tens of thousands in ad spend for less than $50 in gross profit return.

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but do the math. Bear in mind when you do the math that I said gross, not net profit.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I would choose Linkedin or Youtube. LinkedIn works good if you are looking for a job. If you use YouTube in a good way, you can reach a lot of people.

Member #
    Hello,I would choose twitter or google. google works good if you are looking for a job. If you use Facebook in a good way, you can connected with many peoples for good discuss
    Ranking Solutions | Twilio Services | Twilio Applications
    Last edited by Cathy; Jun 09th, 2017 at 03:48 AM.

Member #
    twitter,Facebook and google plus is best social media
    Ranking Solutions | Twilio Services | Twilio Applications
    Last edited by Cathy; Jun 09th, 2017 at 03:51 AM.

Member #
    Linkedln is probably on my top list since that is the only way that i could defend for searching job. I got my job two years ago also from Linkdln,

Member #
    I choose Facebook and Google .both are great social media sites

Member #
    Are your products going to be aimed at the public as opposed to buinesss? If it is the public then Facebook and Twitter. For FB join lots of groups so you can share on the groups pages without the members actually being our "friends"

Remove Ads