Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Advice for a newbie with a non tech background looking to dive into programmig

Hi all. I am new here and I need your help or advice.
    I am planning to start learning programming over the coming months, end of the summer. I am coming from a non technical background. I am not mathematical in any way.
    I'm self learning just the basic markup language HTML and CSS. I am not a expert in any way but I have the basics learned pretty well and I have a solid understanding. What interests me more is the backend structure of websites or applications and their behavior and interactions with users as to why actions are preformed or how actions can be improved in the backend for better user experiences.
    I was considering a bootcamp most of which focus on Ruby, 8-12 weeks which I am starting to turn away from due to advice I got but I am still considering two different courses. They are Europe based as am but I might add that I will be moving country as well.
    One is a 9 month long course. There are 6 modules each with 4 separate lessons. 1.Web development 2.Mobile development. 3.Software Cratsmanship 4.User experience 5.Agile 6.Big data. Within those I will be learning Java backend, Spark Java, Angular Jquery MySQL, along with mobile development, data engineering, data science the list goes on. It is fairly robust 9 month program, Monday to Friday 9am -1pm The total in class hours works out at roughly 650 hours.
    The second course is only 4 months in duration focusing on Java along with javascript, json, html,css etc. Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm roughly 6 hours of classes a day over the course of 4 months roughly 480 hours.
    There is a difference of about 230 hours between the two courses. Both start in October. One finishes in February one finishes The end of June closer to mid July because of the end of year project.
    From my view point the first course seems to have a big spread maybe to big. Would it be better for someone like me coming from a non technical background to be more focused on one high level language and really give it my all, and have a solid base and understanding of that language instead of learning mobile development, data science, data engineering, etc. I mean how much can you really get through in a 9 month course that is not full time. I wouldn't necessarily agree that knowing less of more subjects is superior or more attractive to knowing more and being well rounded in at least one subject to potential employers.
    Needless to see my end goal on completion of whatever course I decide to pursue is to secure employment along with further down the line branching out on my own.
    There is a huge difference in the cost of the two. The 4 month program costs 7,000 the 9 month program costs 17,000. I know only I can make the decision. I can see the difference in the two courses. Their are pro's and con's for each one. For me I am leaning towards the 4 month course. The two main reasons are A) the cost not only of the course but also living expenses for the 9 months. As it is a morning course hopefully some months in I will be able to find a paid internship for my afternoons and evenings, something the course director has indicated that students in previous sessions have done, and B) my thought process is that I would be better suited to learning one high level language and focus on that language. I know 4 months of learning Java will not make me an expert but with hard work on my end will give me a solid base to start from.
    However looking at the 9 month course it does cover the likes of user experience and data engineering something which(that will) could be important further down the line even if just to have an understanding of the processes involved and the thought process to go through.
    Over the next 2-3 months I will continue with my self learning I might even start looking at Java to give me a head start. There are a lot of online resources that are available.
    Any advice is most welcome and needed from those who are experienced programmers who work or have worked with junior developers/programmers in the past or those who may have gone though a similar experience in the past.
    Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    First you have to decide just what you want to do. You mention backend structure (which I take to mean web development) and application development. It would be best to specialize in one or the other in my opinion. It is difficult to become expert at both. There is plenty to learn in either field.

Remove Ads