Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Website from scratch?

I have recently been trawling the net looking for the best way to set up a fairly simple business page for my husband. Going round in circles tbh and was hoping someone could point me in one direction.

I can see I need a domain / host and everything seems to point toward Wordpress. Can anyone advise if this is where I should be at?

The page will merely hold pictures of his work & equipment etc. Contact and location details & maybe the facility to post a video.

If there's a sticky post which answer the above then I would be grateful if someone could show me, I've looked but can't seem to see anything relevant to my newbie question.

Thanks for reading and any help would be very much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Only if you can tell us where you are now. What do you know and currently use?

Member #
    Hello, I'm in UK and have a home pc with office and that's it!

Im assuming I will need software but get nervous at the prospect of downloading anything without doing research and asking questions. I am a complete novice to web design, no stranger to mastering applications though. I'm in Technical support for in house systems at work but obviously completely different ball game to this.

The more reading I do the more out my depth I think I may be. I have no issue with learning but would just like some guidelines on what to do and what not.

Maybe even best to pay someone monthly and let them do it for me?

Thank you.

Member #
    Should have put W10 sorry!

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Sorry I did such a poor job asking questions. Your physical location doesn't matter. By where you are now I mean what is your experience in the IT field.

Wordpress has it's own problems but can be quicker to learn even though some programming knowledge helps people keep out of trouble. The answer to your question depends on how much you want to learn. A few of us here don't like Wordpress because it includes so much code bloat and only gets worse as you add plug-ins yet it can be very good for simple projects like yours when you know what you are doing. If you decide on Wordpress then go to Youtube to find video tutorials and play around with wordpress to learn.

If you actually want to learn how to code then codecademy and freecodecamp are good.

Member #
    Thank you.

I feel I should maybe stay away from code at present, purely as I have only so much time on my hands. My job at work is 100% code and data based, which I analyse and either sort or process, but I didn't learn this in a few weeks. As far as IT skills go I'm really Microsoft/ Windows self taught, if my computer plays up (usually after W10 updates!!) I take to the internet and manage to fix it myself. But other than that I can do a few formulas, look ups on excel, write a letter on word and that's about it lol. I do all the business stuff on the PC, VAT and TAX returns included, but this is all more Office related than IT obviously.

I watched a Google create vid on YT last night which looked reasonably straight forward. This was purely for creating an animated online advert however, so a bit different to a website but interesting all the same.

I think I will play around with wordpress firstly, then take it from there...

I need to learn more about domains too as I've little to no knowledge on how this works.

Thank you for taking the time to answer and apologies for the essay!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    For your situation and what you're doing, if hiring out isn't an option, go with SquareSpace. It isn't optimal, but given your knowledge level, it's the best option.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Cool thanks, I will check it out.

Member #
    Yes you will need domain and hosting to point towards WordPress site.

Remove Ads