Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times

Who here has tried Patreon?

I'm wondering if any creatives (web designers, artists, coders) here have used Patreon successfully?

Do you have any advice? (I've just started a page).

Did it work for you in the end or was it not worth the effort?

I was hesitating to join because I hate the feeling of "receiving charity". But I also believe people should be paid for doing valuable work - like if I work on open source software that could save other people lots of time or money then its fair to ask them to consider supporting it.

I really DON'T want to bug my friends and family to sign up to my patreon. But that's what all the guides tell you to do!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Non-opinionated portion of response:
    I've never seen it for anyone in our line of work. I have, however seen people make a living from it. Tim Buckley from the Ctrl+Alt+Del web comic let slip a while back how much he was making from just Patreon (he also has a store that seems to do pretty well), and it was just shy of what I make after almost 18 years in the US Air Force. Not bad for a dude who makes web comics.

Opinionated portion of response:
    1) The entire purpose of Patreon is so people can pay you to encourage you to do what you do. That isn't charity at all to me. It's like paying your cable bill. Yes, I want more cool shows to watch, so here's some money every month to that end.
    2) I know it was just an example, but IMHO, getting paid for work you do to contribute to an open source project kinda misses the point of contributing to open source projects.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads