Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Does the web render offline advertising obsolete?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does.

0 0%
  • No, it doesn't and can be used in conjunction with offline advertising.

9 100.00%
  • I really don't know.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This actually came up in a discussion with a friend of mine last week. He's in advertising (print, TV, radio, that sort of thing) and was in it for a very long time (I think over 20 years) before he retired in the 1980s. He got back into it last year and he's found that the market has been significantly tougher for clients ever since he returned to the industry. We had a conversation about it, and I happened to mention that one of my clients in particular is getting over 95% of his business from the website I made for him, even though he's got two stores and spends thousands on offline advertising (mostly Yellow Pages). My friend became convinced right then and there that he should get out of advertising. I (entrepreneurial sort that I am) suggested not to get out of it entirely, but to get potential clients to start with the website, and work the rest of their advertising campaigns out from there with the website as the centrepiece.

The question that I ask is: do you think I was right to tell him that? Or do you guys think that the web will eventually render most forms of offline advertising obsolete and ineffecitive?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I voted NO.

The reason print advertising is doing so poorly has nothing to do with the web... the web is suffering from the same illness: slow economy.

When the economy is doing poorly, the first thing to go in medium to large businesses is the marketing / advertising budget. Smaller businesses don't cut the advertising budget because they never had one to begin with and they don't follow a thought out business plan very closely.

The reason your business is doing well, Game, is that you sell small companies (I assume) on the possibility that the Web could increase their revenues in this poor economy. Because you're not catering to clients with a set business plan or advertising strategy, you can more easily convince them that your services are necessary for them.

An ad agency cannot cater to smaller businesses because they don't have the necessary funds to run significant print campaigns or tv or radio ads. And since the medium to large businesses have cut their advertising budgets, ad agencies are left with very little business to compete for.

Member #
    I agree with Transio --
    For the hosting industry , online is not the best option for getting clients i dont think . I found that once you migrate to your local areas and target small to mid size comanies and sell them the dream that they need to get a online presence. Most companies will agree with you
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's an interesting point, although my whole problem with the concept of economic growth/slowdown is that it the reality of whether an economy is "slow" or "surging" is at least partially dependent on the perception of such. If an influential party (e.g. a government leader) says the economy is slowing down and people believe him/her, then they stop spending and the economy really does slow down. Personally, I've never put a lot of stock into that as it pertains to my own business though. I relate my own business to how well it's doing based on set goals that I have for myself. If I'm below the goals, I do what I have to and spend what I have to to achieve them. If I'm at or above them, I'm good to go.

I would say that some of my clients are small businesses, yes; but some of them are medium-sized businesses and they're in the same boat. One client spends well into the six digits in advertising and his two websites still do more for him than anything else (which is weird because one of them is the crappiest-looking website I have in my company portfolio).

Personally, I don't see a lot of "slow economy" on the web. Maybe it's just me, but I actually do monitor my clients' sites to see how well they're doing and with two possible exceptions, they're all doing quite well and increasing my clients' bottom lines. And that, to me anyway, is what it's all about about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    hahah -- hey i have a client who site is the worst i seen in years -- i dont think the look of the site is what make sales i think its what people are looking for. they really dont care what the site looks like .. the owner of the site cares more then the customers .. hahaha .
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I disagree... a professional web page puts off a professional image.

Also on the offline advertising deal... I think it depends almost soley on the type of business. For the gallery I work at, the web site is more of a branding method than anything else. We send out announcements every month to over 5k people... and that's what brings in our customers. The web site helps reinfoce the idea that we are professionals. When someone is spending $50,000 on a painting, they look at the business almost more than they do the art (sadly) and will end up spending more money at a well established gallery than a brand new one. Almost 90% of this image is brought on by offline advertising. Print Ads in newspapers, Articles in magazines (we're published at least 4-5 times monthly in some sort of magazine/newspaper), Announcements, Sponsoring Events, etc. I actually find it hard to justify a web site in most businesses since generally they don't bring in a lot of income. Who cares if your'e getting 30k hits per day if no one's buying anything...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    well this site is mostly a e-commerce site , and it brings in some nice amount of revenue. but i think the site is the worst yet .. i do agree that your company should have a nice professional website if you going to have one . but if its not the best , it is going to limit your income revenue? NO -- its all about what people want not need but want. no one needs a website . people want a website. the internet was not even based on selling things a long time ago. it was BBS and text websites. To tell you the truth i dont think i would even make a purchase of 50k online. I would have to fly to your location and see what you have in person. or talk to you on the phone several weeks before the purchase is complete .
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Gemini-ISP, that's exactly what I'm talking about though. The particular client that generates 95% of his business from the web sells items that are in the four-digit price range. The customers still go to his stores to see his product but they find what they want online and have most of their questions answered upfront. While it may not be an "online sale", it's an increase in revenue as a result of the presence of the website without any need for additional advertising. They're not buying the product because of a radio or TV or print spot; they're buying because they did a search online for XXX product, found the client's site, and went from there.

With regard to Brak's point, I've found that the websites don't bring in a lot of money for my clients (and all of my clients do make money in some form or fashion as a result of what my company provides them) are the ones that don't reinvest in the site. They treat it as a one-off "design, stick it on the search engines, leave it, and hope someone finds it". This usually happens. The problem is they don't take the profit from that and reinvest it into the website (or their own businesses for that matter.) One client in particular has a website that draws attention and interest from just about every possible corner of the world, and the site basically has saved his butt since about 1999, but the item being promoted on the site doesn't make him any money right now. Why? Because he just doesn't take advantage of the opportunities the site presents him.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a left-handed way is that I see a trend whereby the Internet presents a unique targetted advertising opportunity for clients and would save money on existing advertising if used properly.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Forgive me for bumping up an old thread, folks, but this article has been brought to my attention. I recently began subscribing to a newsletter called MarketingNewz for tips and tricks. It's not a bad newsletter overall, albeit with a lot of stuff I can't personally use.

A few days ago, I got this article in my email:

http://www.marketingnewz.com/marketi...ongLivePR.html

It was the second-last line in particular that really got my attention.

Member #
    Funnily enough the body shop is huge and they have stores everywhere!

EDIT- Also Lo-Co airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair spend millions on their advertising and make much more and are growing much faster then big airlines.
    regards,
    robc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads