Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Copy/Paste Excel Cells

Am looking for a new program to create my website. I've been using W..P... (can we give names?) for about 12 years. It is a stand alone program and the only web building software I have ever used. Also, I DO NOT know code and at my age, not sure I can learn it.

Anyway, this program did everything I could ever want and now that it is gone, I am having a terrible time trying to replace it. Biggest obstacle is that I use Excel a lot and love to copy/paste portions of a worksheet. All I have to do with WP is simply highlight what I want in Excel, click copy, go to WP, click paste/special. A dialog box opens and I chose "Paste Link" and MS Excel comes up, click ok and we are good to go. It's that easy. Fonts, colors and formatting all comes over very cleanly. The only thing that it does not do is show the fill color of a cell.
    When the "Paste Link" button is selected, the data in WP will be updated whenever it is revised in Excel.

I have been trying a great number of programs and haven't found one that has this capability yet. I sure would appreciate any help in either a software program choice or a way to get my excel data to link into a webpage.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fil52 View Post
    When the "Paste Link" button is selected, the data in WP will be updated whenever it is revised in Excel.
    Wait a minute, I'm confused. Your live web site on a server is pulling live data from Excel on your PC? Like after you publish your site to the internet, if you edit/save that file on your PC, it is making changes to the live website?

Member #
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Here is the process I use.
    1. Copy selected cells in Excel
    2. Go into my website software, page I want the data
    3. Click Edit/Paste Special - a window opens and I chose paste/link, MS Excel
    4. Paste that on web page
    5. Upload that page to server and I'm done.

I am able to resize (stretch) the data box to make text larger if needed. When ever I change those cells in excel, that data is transferred into the software program. I still have to update that page to the server. The only thing that does not come over from excel is any fill color.

Thanks for your help,
    Phil

Remove Ads