Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    have anyone ever considered just dumping windows and using linux as you main operation system. It seemd like evey version of windows that come out you, lose alot of control over your own computer. i had put windows to a test with my linux system ; Result; left both systems running for 20 days with out a reboot --

the system load on windows -well IT CRASHED
    The systen load on linux was 0.05 and still runnning programs like i just booted up right up --
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's been proven cost-effective to use windows as a workstation. I love linux, it's prettier, it's more reliable, and more customizable. HOwever, there's not enough programs for it, and when you run into a problem, 99% of users can't fix it. I love multiple desktops... and text anti-aliasing But alas, it's just not worth it for me. Windows does me just fine.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    hahah thats true about the user's cant fix the problems that occur hahahha --

I find myself searching online for answers and buying books --but not too many people will be able to sit down at your system and use it if it was linux
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I switched to Linux a fortnight or so ago and I've got mixed feelings about it.

It seems to be faster and the apps are comparable but it generally feels less coherent. Feels kinda sloppy the way files are stored and I miss the direct control of services that windows gives.

I'm gonna give it a while to see if learning a bit more makes it feel better but Windows is still ahead.

That's possibly because I've spent 15 years using DOS/Windows machines and 15 days on Linux!

You're right about the Windows OS taking control of the PC though. I've tried to live with XP and have installed it 5 or 6 times but each time I do it I get so annoyed with it I revert back to 2K. There's something about 2K that makes it feel like a friend!

Member #
    I found XP really hard to get used to after my WIndows 98SE PC I must admit. I still run Win98 on my other computer, and I try not to use it that much, because I just really like XP now, I have the menu in the same layout as Win98, but I still have the XP graphics and so on...
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Windiws us unreliable, I wouldnt recommend it to any one, linux on the other hand is oretty faultless, it just needs to be more recognized and user friendlt in my opinion.

Member #
    few notes ; to fix a software problem in windows i had to almost either re-install the software or un-install it completely then install it again -- with linux i found all i have to do is modify the .conf file then its fix -- or re-compile and its fix .. but most people create there own programs within linux like using mysql for data storage etc.
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Hmm tough one this:

Windows has a better user interface (Sorry, but come on, system related things are in Control Panel, Applications are under program files etc etc - by default in Linux -Or at least RedHat - there can be all sorts of programs all over the place and unless you know what you're doing can get in a right mess!) There are far more programs that run well under Windows, unfortunately I don't see that as changing for a while...

However, a lot of Linux software is freeware, and although it has it's bugs is far less likely to crash than a Windows system (My RedHat box been up for weeks on end without problems) And, support hardware and software is only improving with time - hopefully eventually the bigger names in software development will release big name software onto the Linux platform... support for Linux is increasing as it is anyway.

So.... right now I could probably afford to Switch entirely to Linux, but I like my Macromedia Suite running on Windows 2000 Pro so until then, it's dual boot all the way I'm afraid!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The last two times I dual-booted with Linux, my MBR got trashed twice. A third time, KDE could stay stable to save its own life. It may be acceptable for servers, but IMO it's a real POS for desktop users.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Bad experience then Filburt? I had a bad one... but that was my own fault lol. Chose to install Grub which was a bad idea as it didn't particularly like my NTFS partition - second time around was fine though when I editted the Windows boot.ini to accomodate Linux now everys dandy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads