Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So, I've warned you. You havne't seen the movie yet? Leave!

Anwyways... I just finished watching the 3rd movie the 2nd time, and I've seen all of them and all the animatrix shorts many times... I've pretty much got what's going on in the real world figured out. Need some more time to think about what's going on in the matrix though

Here's my interpretation:

Neo is our lord and savior (refrenced many times), Jesus Christ. He is brought back from the dead (First movie) to lead mankind in one ultimate goal. In many scenes it's refrenced very bluntly.. may I say walking on water? (machine city, orange-ish vision), and of course the final scene... Neo on the crucifix, sacrificing himself for the sins of man.

The way I see it... the orange vision, and the fact that neo can have an effect on things in the real world is merely a matter of perception. The human dreamworld is materialized by the matrix, while the *real* world is made up of God's matrix. Thus, the matrix itself is merely a form of displaying some idea. The real world code (orange) is more complex, and made up of life so to speak, every living being radiated some form of light stuff that Neo was able to see. One line that kinda gives this away in one of the animatrix shorts: "And so man made machine in his own image" just as God made man in his own image. Machines built the matrix, God builds the real world.

Any one else's thoughts? I really dig this movie, and think that many people take it a little too shallow (but then again, I think the same thing of many people about many movies).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

JR
    Member #
    I knew about the biblical references after the 1st film, so nothing new there. Some interesting stuff to think about though.

I just got back from seeing the film and I didn't enjoy it that much. But I suppose if I had seen the 3rd one first then I woulda probably thought it was the best film in the world, it is just that I had such high expectations after the other two.

I also don't completely understand the ending so I am off to search the Internet for some 'geek' talk.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I haven't sat down and thought it all out completely, but I recognized a lot of the things that you mentioned. I would like to add:

If Neo is a metaphorical Jesus Christ, then Morpheus is Joseph, the Oracle is the Archangel Gabriel, and Trinity and the gang are the Apostles... Trinity being Peter, who is there til the end. The immediate storyline representative figures can be easily lined up and mapped out one-to-one (more or less). The interesting part is the Matrix characters...

The people who escaped the Matrix, in a sense, are the "saved", or "enlightened", or "chosen" people... the Jews. They are God's (the Architect's?) chosen people. Those inside the Matrix are unenlightened... the represent the Romans. Their inevitable corruption by Smith represents the corruption of the Roman Empire by evil which ultimately led to the people murdering Jesus. Smith, then, becomes a metaphorical representation of Evil. Not Lucifer or Pontius Pilate or Judas.... just pure, unadulterated evil. How cool !!!

So the people inside the Matrix represent the world in the time of Jesus.... the Matrix is then the New Testament of sorts... who are the people outside the Matrix?l Those born in the "real world" ?? Well, those people are supposed to represent us... looking in at the Bible from the outside, asked to have faith in a man whose power we cannot see or feel, asked to believe that he will save us if we just give him a chance. The different "outside" characters represent differing points of view on religion in modern society... from those who blindly follow to those who refuse to believe to those who waver (like Jada Pinkett's character: "I don't believe in 'The One', but I believe in Him!"). Even the last line from the oracle: "I don't know, but I believe" resounds the message of religion.

In the end, the Matrix is a movie about our inner struggles with faith... with life, death, good, and evil. It tells us a story that's been told for thousands of years... just in a different way... to let us know that we are all different, and all believe in different things, and none of us is right or wrong. After we are dead, the significance of our lives will continue in the generations that follow... as our extinguished carcasses are melted to be fed intravenously to the living (i.e. the circle of life).

Member #
    I saw the third film the other day, and thought it was good, (not that this has anything to do with what you guys are talking about) but I thought I would say, its worth going to see if you like action (fighting) theres lots of it, but if you like kick a$$ story lines then maybe just go for the hell of it and be prepared to be dissapointed, I think the first was possibly the best but all 3 were amazing, when you site back and watch the special effects, it is all really amazing stuff.

(sorry its kinda off topic but it is about the matrix)

JR
    Member #
    Originally posted by transio
    Smith, then, becomes a metaphorical representation of Evil. Not Lucifer or Pontius Pilate or Judas.... just pure, unadulterated evil. How cool !!!
    I think Smith is meant to be the devil (or Satan as you yankees call it). Because it was said that Neo is the opposite of Smith, which is the same as Jesus and Satan and as Good and bad. This is also hinted when Neo is blinded; he looks at Smith through that golden Matrix thing and he is shown to be on fire.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by transio
    The people who escaped the Matrix, in a sense, are the "saved", or "enlightened", or "chosen" people... the Jews. They are God's (the Architect's?) chosen people.
    If God = the Architect, then the Oracle = Satan... Oracle the company maybe... the Oracle is probably more akin to Loki.

Originally posted by JR
    I think Smith is meant to be the devil (or Satan as you yankees call it). Because it was said that Neo is the opposite of Smith, which is the same as Jesus and Satan and as Good and bad. This is also hinted when Neo is blinded; he looks at Smith through that golden Matrix thing and he is shown to be on fire.
    If Neo = Jesus, then Smith = his evil twin, or the devil's son.

I seem to recall the creators saying that the religious overtones weren't written into the movie, that people are just reading too much into it. Could be wrong though.

Since I'm Jewish, that means that I escaped, and that you didn't! :lick:
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

JR
    Member #
    Why is the Oracle the devil? What makes her so bad?
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Nothing. The architect's job is to balance, the oracle's job is to un-balance.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

JR
    Member #
    Hmm, good point. But she doesn't really represent evil like Smith does.

Also, if she was programmed to unbalance then she wouldn't let Smith clone himself into her and have Neo and Smith cancel each other's power out.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There is no doubt in my mind there are serious religious overtones... just look at that final scene! Neo burning with light, in a cross shape... dead afterwards, being dragged arms outstretched... It's the key sign of any movie ending where the main charater is depicted as jesus. Have you ever seen anyone in real life die in a crucifix position? It rarely occurrs, except in movies of course when they want to drive a certain point home

Personally I was expecing something better than the cliche bible BS. But whatever.

PS. Also note 3 books, 3 movies. Things always come in 3s when they're about religion
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads