Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: New Pc Blues

Member #
    If any can help me with this then thank you.. im trying to see what peeps say before i take it back tomoz ( or not if i get it working)

anyway

ok bought a new pc today and have put it together like im meant to almost in a ritualisric way for the 2nd time now.

it seems thought that when i switch on the power and start up, it is giving a signal to tell the monitor that nothing is happening.. and indeed forces the monitor into standby...

i then changed gfx card.. no joy

i then changed monitor .. no joy

could the cpu no be reponding? is there a fault with the agp? everything elses fans etc are starting ok no burning etc... just dont like monitors.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Are you getting any HDD activity?
    Are you getting any beeps from the system speaker on bootup? (1 long and 3 short is usually the code for video card errors).
    Are all your pins OK on the SVGA cable?

It's hard to tell without seeing the PC but if your getting no HDD activity then it could be the mainboard, cpu or RAM (check that each are seated properly). If you are getting HDD activity then it's likely the SGP card or slot that's at fault.

Either way if it's a new PC then back to the supplier with it along with an angry look for selling you a PC that's not been burnt in.

BTW - the PC is not sending the signal to the monitor to tell it that there is no signal, the monitor is generating it's own error message because it knows it's plugged in but isn't getting the signal it needs.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Are you hearing any beeps? Does this monitor work on any other systems? Have you tried another monitor with this system? If the answers (in order) are No, Yes, Yes, then return it. Was it a home-built PC, or is it an OEM PC?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sounds like it could simply be a short on the mainboard.

Make sure there are no loose wires touching it....

If that doesn't work, try pushing in all of your cards in case one is loose... Make sure the processor and RAM modules are seated well...

If that doesn't work, remove everything except the CPU, one RAM module, a hard disk and the video card and try to start it up again. If it starts, keep turning it off and adding one card until you find the one that's shorting you out.

If it doesn't work, unseat all of your cards and just plug in the mainboard and turn it on and listen for the beep alert to tell you that you're missing something important. Look up the alert in your manual to determine that your mainboard is ok. If it's ok, then seat your processor and repeat. Then reseat your RAM and repeat. Then video card and repeat. This will tell you if one of your necessary components is busted.

Member #
    ok well its not the gfx card i know that , nor is it the monitor, dvd hdd etc as ive unplugged them all except the gfx card and it still didnt like it...

im gonna have a look see if the processor is mounted ok.. as it took a few attempts to close the snap in pins for it (the ones on each side bracket like holding it in)

i have no speakers so i dunno if its beeping... and im guessing the mobo cant emit a noise unless its own internal speakers are set?

all i have is a speaker link for external audio connect and an audio connector going between the dvd-rw (my master) and the mobo

Remove Ads