Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am keen on buying a book, on a programming language - maybe c++ or c. Maybe even Pascal ( i already code in it) but cant find a compiler, any suggestions?

ie - link to pascal compiler / language...

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    What languages do you know other than Pascal?

I'd suggest Java. The IDEs are far better than for any other language I've used (IntelliJ IDEA owns the world), it's cross-platform, and there's far less bulls*** that you have to do to just get a simple program running than compared to both C and C++. No pointers (before somebody jumps in, yes, I know the whole every-object-is-a-reference thing), no manual memory allocation, easy GUI coding...excellent.

No crashes, too, but I made the Java VM crash twice before. :cheeky:
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Don't use Pascal... it has no "real world" significance and will not do anything for you other than help you learn the fundamentals of programming (which you probably already know)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There's Delphi which uses Pascal (or at least Pascal syntax), but most people don't use it. Java or nothing, IMO. And by nothing, I mean in progression C++, PHP, or Visual Basic
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It really depends what you want to use it for. Java is fairly simple for applets, but remember that it's compiled AND interpreted--so in speed you lose both ways. Perl is a good language for doing batch-type operations and CGIs: it's wierd at first, but then it's amazingly easy to do complex tasks.

Finally, for Windoze programs I'd go with C++. It's not the easiest to learn or the quickest to use, but it's damn fast and has by far the most support sites, libraries, and tutorials online.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by filburt1
    There's Delphi which uses Pascal (or at least Pascal syntax), but most people don't use it. Java or nothing, IMO. And by nothing, I mean in progression C++, PHP, or Visual Basic
    What about C#/.NET ?? It's an EXTREMELY powerful RAD environment... Microsoft's version of Java, essentially (thus the rapid development). It's also quickly growing in popularity, and with Windows Server 2003 out, it will be much more widely supported in the near future. I would say that it will be THE language to learn for the next 5 years (there will likely be more .NET jobs than Java jobs available in that timeframe).

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I'll second C#. I'm learning it these days. Found it to be far easier to learn than Java. And faster.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Delphi is really nice.. but all programming languages for the von Neumann machine are, in terms of concepts, the same. Thus I would suggest learning a language you will be using in your daily projects, eg. Perl/PHP/*.NET/ASP for server-side web programming, JavaScript/ActionScript for client-side, C/C++/C--/Java/Object Pascal/Visual Basic/C# for non-web...

I haven't bothered to learn the *.NET languages - I'm not interested in learning yet another set of variant languages until I need them in my work (=play). If you want something truly interesting, get out of the traditional programming mindset......

Member #
    For introduction to programming, PHP and Visual Basic are very easy to learn, that's how I got started in programming. I found C++ to be very annoying and useless for amateur programmers. PHP is the language of choice for me

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    I would start even simpler than PHP, I would go with JavaScript/JScript, or VBScript. Then from there learn PHP/ASP/JSP, and then finally full on C++/Java/VB.
    - Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads