Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    They ripped me off DIRTY for $6.99 for their "Extended Download Service". So I'm selling their crap on ebay... you HAVE to see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3638452014

Member #
    LOL. Pick me, pick me!!! I want to pay $6.99 so I can break the law with you!

That sucks about that though, dirty dirty trick. I'm sure you informed them of your minor displeasure?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I hope they don't sue me.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You've got the money
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    LMAO @ "The winning bidder may face criminal and civil charges from Symantec for aiding and abetting me in violating their end-user agreement. You may want to reconsider bidding... but think about this auction before you buy Norton or McAfee products!"

ummm you wanna sell it or not
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Banned
    Member #
    :laugh: This was your mistake man. Just had a look, and, BEFORE you proceed any further beyond your cart, it tells you this:

What is the Extended Download Service?

When you buy the Extended Download Service, you may redownload your software for a period of one year after the date of purchase. Click here for Terms and Conditions.
    Seems pretty clear to me, wouldnt be the first time someones tried to sell me a warranty

When you click 'here' it explains fully what the download service is. Seems to me your pissed at the wrong person, you should be pissed off at yourself!

You shouldve just cracked it :surprised:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, fgfgfgh has a bit of a point. I tried the cart as well, and it gave me both options when I went to view my cart. I simply clicked the "Remove" trash can icon and away it went. I review all of my online carts before I purchase for this specific reason; just to make sure that everything in it is supposed to be there, and that I got everything I wanted. It seemed pretty straightforward to me as well.

When it comes to things like this, I will usually buy them in a store (or soon, wholesale thanks to a new business venture). It usually ends up a little bit cheaper since computer retail stores are really hypercompetitive in the GTA and I have a box copy of the product with CD to reinstall from.

From the looks of the situation, it appears that you shot yourself in the butt, and wasting money posting an auction on eBay wasn't a smart move either. The best case scenario is that you'll find no buyers and no interest; who wants to buy something indirectly from a company that is being accused of unfair business practices? The more likely scenario is that you find yourself in one hell of a pack of trouble.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I am 1/2 pissed at myself for not getting it, but the truth is, the wording is ambiguous... it doesn't tell you that you can download the software without the extra download service, and it automatically gets added to your cart when you select a product for download (I'm relatively certain this is not allowed)... the bottom line is, it's misleading... misleading enough that it tricked me into buying it!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Not a bump, just wanted to add this... I just posted this article to Slashdot... let's see if they publish it !!!
    Norton Anti-Virus Ripped Me Off!!
    Basically, I got a virus on my computer and got scared, because I didn't have my business A/V disk at home, so I decided to buy "Norton Internet Security 2004" for download so I could resolve my problem.

When I clicked the link to add the $69.95 software from Symantec (the maker of Norton) to my shopping cart, the Symantec Store automatically added ANOTHER product, a $6.99 "Extended Download Service", which I didn't request. What is this thing?

When I read the brief (ambiguous) description, it seemed at first glance as though it was required for download of the software... and I was rushed by my panic to clean my computer, so I just decided to buy it in case it WAS required... I had a virus!

It turns out (they tell you after you buy it and install it) that it's NOT required for download, and that you can't return it once you install the software and use it. So basically, it's a way for Symantec (and McAfee... they do it, too !!!) to make an extra 10% off of flustered consumers who have a virus on their machine!

I've been bamboozled!!!

I have decided that since Symantec sold me the "Extended Download Service" that I didn't request or want, that I would sell it on eBay. The funny part is that it allows whoever buys it (illegally, but oh well) to download "Norton Internet Security" (the $69.95 software that I purchased willingly) from Symantec for a period of a year!

Here's the link to the auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3638452014

Member #
    Hehe, I would buy it but I'm poor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads