Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    ok, here we go...

As of saturday afternoon, i havent been able to access my own website on my computer at home. But I can access it at work and it works fine! I can also view almost any other website on my computer at home.

steps taken so far:

1. contacted webserver and they had me run a ping and traceroute on it and i posted that back to them. they said they ran some tests and that the problem was with my ISP.

2. heres where things get really fun. i live in korea right now but my ability to communicate is pretty low. add technical terms on top of it and my language skills are useless. But i had a friend call my ISP and they came by my house and looked at the ping and traceroute output. then he said it was a problem with my computer. (it's a mac OSX iBook of which there are very few in korea and they know very little about the mac operating system) So i explored my network utilities in the application and i couldn't find anything that related to me accessing my own website.

3. so i took my iBook to work and plugged it in to the internet and 30 seconds later i was looking at my website! so i think i have eliminated my computer as the problem.

i have written back to my webserver about all this but i havent got a response yet. i wanted to put the question on here to get some different problem solving ideas.

any ideas?
    Eric
    www.ericbusch.net
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to assume you're referring to ericbusch.net here. The nameservers for ericbusch.net are both provided by a site called worldaxxs.net, which appears to be geographically based in Trumbull, Connecticut (information provided to recap and as new information for the vast majority who won't already know it; I know you probably already do.)

I've noticed a few strange things about it:

1) There were a lot of timeout requests (25) on the hops from two different locations when I did a tracert to worldaxxs.net.
    2) That it's based in Trumbull, Connecticut. Now I'm not an expert on Internet connectivity by any means, so take this information for what it's worth, but I don't recall there being any kind of a backbone in that general area. That may be causing a problem.

I'm inclined to think it's a host connectivity issue. Your site isn't actually down; it's just not in an area that's easy to reach.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Standford, CT used to be a huge dot.com region during the dot.com boom, there are some big pipes down here. Plus, there's a concentration of large universities in the Hartford, CT region, plus UConn is about 20 minutes away, with a campus of 25,000. Hartford isn't quite the college town that Boston is, but there are a number of universities in the area, each with very high speed connections.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Try hooking up a diff computer where your mac is hooked up at home.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Don't you mean Stamford, Connecticut? (WWE knowledge at work.) Although the universities may all have their own high speed connections, that doesn't necessarily preclude that there is a backbone nearby. It could be located somewhere that's in close enough proximities to the various universities but not to WorldAXXS.net.

I think there's something wrong somewhere with a connection, though, when I do a tracert and the last 24 hops are all timeouts.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Pretty close to Boston, MA, no? Tons of universities there, has to be a backbone around there somewhere.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I will try to hook up another computer to this line. That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that.

In the meantime, what would be the reason for my site working with no problems for 6 months and then one day, nothing?

Here is the gist of the response from my web provider:

...what happens is that when you
    try to connect to use from your home or main location
    the connection from your isp starts to die at the ip 211.48.63.230 so
    you want to call your internet service provider and let them know this and
    ask them to re route you...
    I don't really understand traceroute, or ping, and what it does, but does this help?

Current Status: ISP is blaming my Host, my host is blaming my ISP and I still can't work on my website.

Eric
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Member #
    By the way, what would it mean if I hook up another computer to this connection and my site DOES work?

Eric

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's only 11 hops from here in the UK and they all respond in a timely fashion as does the site.

In my opinion it's a connectivity problem between your ISP and you host and there's not much you can do about it short of changing hosts or ISP. You've just gotta hope that the fault is being worked on - if it's not a fault but a lack of a decent pipe then you're a bit stuck.

If you plug another PC into your home line and it can reach the site then the problems get stranger. It might be because the fault is intermittent and happens to be working while you've got the other PC plugged in.

Have you cleared your browser cache?

One other thing is that you're IP maybe being blocked by somebody along the line - I know that some DDoS attacks have come form Korea recently so it may be that your IP is in the same range as one that is temporarily being blocked - this is unlikely but not impossible.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by ericbusch
    By the way, what would it mean if I hook up another computer to this connection and my site DOES work?

Eric
    Then the problem would have to be your PC.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads