Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Soon I am going to start building up my own pc.

IS this a good idea? Will it be a lot cheaper?

Another question is if yuou think it is a good idea, so you know of any sites where I can buy hardware from?
    I'm looking to build a fairly powerfull machine for a lesser money as possible, like most people I guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Daniel

JR
    Member #
    I think you need to know your stuff or you will end up getting hardware problems.

It would also probably be cheaper to get a ready made machine.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Moreover, it will be far cheaper to buy a new one than to build one. However, the quality will be lower.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I say go with a dell, then save money by not getting things like speakers and a keyboard, since you already have that stuff. Use the money you saved to upgrade the processor or the video card.

Member #
    Oh, looks like I'm going to have to have a think about it all then.

If any of you do know of any good sites then please do still let me know.

Cheers,

Member #
    Well what I was going to do was....

I already have a monitor, printer, scanner, kepboard, mouse all that, all I really need is to upgrade the hardware so she flies a little more etc. So I thought may aswell just go all the way and get it out the way and done with, I'm also thinking about adding a cool case etc so it will look good, thats of course if I still have money left.

Any opinons?

Member #
    I recently built a system box. Basically I had a 500MHz, and I wanted to play games, and I couldn't upgrade the video (the motherboard wouldn't take it). I'll give you a cheap guy guide:
    [*] If your system case is ATX, you can put a new motherboard in it (you don't need a new case). Cases from about 3 years ago and older use the AT standard, and their power supply and back panel are incompatible with new motherboards.
    [*] You might be able to avoid buying RAM if you buy a cheap motherboard that accepts new processors, but the old SDRAM. If you can get one that has slots for either SD- or DDR RAM, you can upgrade to faster RAM when its cheaper in the future.

Beyond that, I'd need to know your current system, and what you need from your future system.

I was waiting around until I found something in the stores that was a bargain. Eventually they came up with a All-In-One mobo & 1.3GHz Athlon processor, and I bought it with a case, HD and RAM, and talked the price down a bit. The processor is the slowest that will go in the mobo, and my evil plan is to put in an Athlon 2500 or better when they get cheap. The plan worked OK, but it's time consuming checking the stores for bargains, and you have to know the price landscape a bit.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    Ah I see, so your fairly in the know with this sort of thing?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Keep in mind that if you're in the US, one of THE biggest sales days is coming in a week. Usually building a PC yourself is cheaper than a store PC, and the quality is higher. However, you'll be doing the tech work, you'll be RMA'ing parts back to manufacturers if/when they break. Pre-built PCs from the major companies are usually proprietary in one way or another. For instance, in Dells, the power supplies, motherboards, and case are proprietary.

And Dell PCs always come with keyboards and speakers. Can't remove them. IF the sales person knows what they're doing, and a supervisor overrides it, they MAY be able to remove the speakers, but that'll only save you maybe 5 bucks. Gee, I wonder if I used to work for them ...

And yes, I build all my PCs. Personally, if you want more HW opinions, I'd go over to the house of help, link's in my sig. The majority of posters there build their PCs, with a few exceptions.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    So it can turn out cheaper then?

My mother has a buddy who can put it all together for me, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought, as most pc's in shops a really expensive, and I want to buy this one myself so if it's cheaper to build then I would do it that way

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads