Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Does anybody have experience or advice on buying refurbished laptops/tablets, or a general "do it/don't do it"? The savings I can get are substantial.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't see why you shouldn't buy refurbished as long as you are happy that the spec. is enough for what you need.

I used to run a computer shop and one of our product lines was refurbished PC's. We made sure that customers told us what they were going to use them for and demo'd the machines running the apps they wanted so that they could see the speed etc. without having a nasty shock when they had bought it and got it home.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    As long as there is some kind of warranty, refurbished should be good. I bought a refurbished scanner a couple of weeks ago, came with official canon warranty. So far I haven't had any trouble.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Depends on the deal. I've bought a few things refurbished, and the only problems were cosmetic, but often times you can get new for only a slight amount more. Places selling refurbished seem to lack selection and sales, which means there not the best places to find a bargain. Just my (rather limited) experiance though; if you can find a good deal, good for you, just don't assume refurbished will be much cheaper.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not purchasing leftovers, but inheriting them.

In my experience I've had extremely good luck. Basically I'm a cheap/poor mofo so I get a lot of hand me downs and kind of upgrade as I go. I've never had an issue with any computer part not working or anything and the savings I get are usually helpful.

Things I"ve gotten:
    -Laptop RAM: Worked without a hitch
    -19" CRT Monitor: Still in excellent condition
    -20GB HDD: Had some issues because I was a retard for a few days, then it worked flawlessly (and has for more than a year)
    -My new laptop () - Working perfectly.
    -Router: Haven't had any issues.

Basically the same deal goes for buying anything used... make sure there's nothing seriously wrong with it upon inspection. For laptops check battery life especially (w/ and w/out wireless turned on - it makes a killer difference). Look to see if any paint on the bottom has melted or bubbled from extreme heat. Make sure the screen doesn't have any bad spots (check with a black and white pattern). Also make sure the keyboard is in good working condition as well as the mouse pad.

Other than that... uhh, use common sense and wipe it clean before you use it
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Actually it turns out I won't buy refurbished...at Fujitsu's website, customizable closeouts and refurbished products aren't returnable.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    i buy refurbish laptops and cdroms all the time -- -- they work great -- for the price i get them at -- if something happens to it -- i wont return it anyway -- just buy another one --
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Brak's right. Having sold RB (refurbished) products for over 4 years, the key to it all is the inspection and return policy. There are some great RB products out there that will often outperform their new counterparts and be significantly cheaper; some RB products that have been kicked, smacked, whacked, trashed, bashed and smashed to the seventh layer of Hell; and the vast majority that are somewhere in the middle.

Some of my own personal rules on the subject:

1) Don't buy any RB that you can't inspect first.
    2) Don't buy anything "as-is". If it's "as-is", it don't work.
    3) Try to get remanufactured over refurbished if you can. The difference is that remanufactured products have a defect on assembly that was fixed and subsequently resold as "not new".
    4) If you're not going to save at least 20%, don't bother.
    5) Don't buy any refurbished CD players or CD-ROMS (sorry, Gemini-ISP), unless you know it was a case where the optic eye wasn't replaced. When the optic eye goes, it will never be properly replaced to the exact spec of the original optic eye.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    thats very tru TheGAME1264 -- i normally buy 10-20 refurb cdroms at a time and out of 20. 5 of them may not work -- and again no returns -- as -is -- so the trash they go -- but at least 15 of them work for about 5-10 months hahahahah
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Remove Ads