Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello folks.

Am I crazy and naive? Is there a "much better" email solution than anything I describe here? If so, correct me if I am wrong about my perceived limitations of these desktop email clients.

Benefits of desktop email clients:

Any desktop email client works better than any online client. You do not have to "open" an email to see what is inside or even to reply. You can do something else while everything downloads--so this may take awhile, but it is not taking up your time--and then you can work offline at lightening speed.

Problems with desktop clients:

If you are a serious internet user, you will use the "folders" and "filters." But then if you travel frequently, you can lose everything in the folders unless you take a notebook computer with you, which is tedious and expensive--not only to buy the notebook, but the hookups are generally more costly than using an Internet cafe. So you are paying many times extra---not for more convenience, but for less convenience!

And if you travel infrequently---that can be even worse. You are "not prepared," so you can totally lose control of your business or whatever you need to do.

Well, there are new mini-notebooks with keyboards just large enough to use. (And even smaller ones.) And even wireless mobile connections. And even though the connections are expensive by the minute---you can download the emails first, then "work offline."

Still, why spend a lot of money on these fancy toys, only to have something more to carry around? I think the ideal would be:

a. An online client that works as well as an offline client, or
    b. An online client that works seamlessly with an offline client.

Well, Hotmail Extra Storage + Outlook Express almost do that. These both can access your POP accounts. You can work offline at home, then work online when you travel. Every single folder is "synchronized" so that any change you make offline, automatically is made online, and vice-versa.

Tip: set all "filters" in the online version, not the desktop version. Then everything will synchronize perfectly.

Major problems with this system:
    1. When you work online, all your correspondence will be from "Hotmail.com." This is devastating to your social image. You can of course log-in directly to your POP client for sending, but this will not synchronize.
    2. The online Hotmail is not easy on the eyes, and does not allow larger font sizes. (?)
    3. The "Hotmail frame" that appears whenever you click on a link in your online email is extremely annoying.

These online problems are solved by Yahoo Plus:
    1. You can "add accounts" to make emails look exactly as if they come directly from your POP email account.
    2. You can choose the color scheme, and the font sizes respond readily to "text size" changes by your browser.
    3. There is no "frame" added to your links, and not much advertising. When you are at home, there even are various programs you can use to kill the banners.

Problems with Yahoo Plus:

1. It does not "synchronize" with any desktop email client, any more than any other POP-accessed email program. You can download the Inbox for archiving, and that's about it.
    2. So if anything happens to the online Yahoo account---you are in trouble. Even if you take the trouble to "archive" using a desktop client---this archive will not be sorted into folders if you are working online. (Or if you work offline, then the online version will not be sorted...)

And so... IF ONLY Hotmail allowed me to "send" without saying "from ____@Hotmail.com ..." Then I could tolerate the frame and the small print when I travel.

Well is there any such service out there? Or do you have a better idea entirely? Anyone please tell.

--kristof

Member #
    This may be an odd solution to your problem, but you should look for a web host that offers webmail. A cheap host I use, Dinsol offers small hosting packages for about $30/year. It comes with 50 mb of space, and you can login to your email account by accessing www.yourdomain.com/webmail. It's similar to yahoo mail, without the ads.

Dinsol doesn't offer this, but another solution is IMAP. I use IMAP for all of my email accounts. IMAP keeps all of your emails on the remote server, but it interfaces with outlook. Outlook connects to my email server and reads my email. The downside of IMAP is that you need an internet connection, because the mail isn't stored locally. However, if you're on the road without your computer, you can still access your email via www.yourdomain.com/webmail, because the email is all stored on the mail server.

Hostony offers IMAP, but they're a more expensive (and reliable) host. Hope this helps.

Member #
    Thank you Splufdaddy!

Well I have taken a good look at my existing cPanel Webmail called "NeoMail"....

----it allows me to make "folders" but no "filters"....

----there is no single view that shows which folders contain "new mail"....

...I.e., "if" I got some filters added, then I would have to open each folder individually to find out which ones contain new mail...

Well with Yahoo Plus I am using about a dozen folders---some of them specifically for "occasional" and "probable spam" collection... so it is just not feasible to switch to a webmail that does not highlight which folders contain new mail...

So I am a bit skeptical that "typical" webmail can be feasible, even with IMAP+filters added. Please let me know, anyone, if your webmail can do better! Thank you.

(Meanwhile I should check out the hosts mentioned by Splufdaddy.)

Member #
    I haven't used NeoMail, Dinsol offers Horde, and Hostony offers Horde, SquirrelMail and one other option for users to choose from. I don't use Horde as my primary email client, but it serves my purposes well while I'm on another machine. As for IMAP, you can set up Outlook to filter your mail, so any new mail recieved when you open Outlook will be filtered. The only time you'll have an issue is when you check mail from the road via webmail, in which case all the mail will be in your inbox, unless you set up webmail filters too. Good luck in your search.

Member #
    Thank you for the suggestions, Splufdaddy.

My my current host has both Neomail and Horde. Horde just seems to be NeoMail + Calendar + Notebook. My previous host had Squirrelmail---it was very basic, not even as good as Neomail, and more confusing to set up.

Well I also just found Starfield Webmail at GoDaddy.com. It looks just like Yahoo Plus, but with no advertising, and as low as $10/year.

PS--I am having serious problems entering new "from" email addresses at Yahoo. You are supposed to be able to enter 50, so long as you can "authorize" that you control those addresses. I did 9 with no problem---but then it kept saying "cannot recognize code..." from the authrization email. After trying dozens of times, same result. Finally I deleted 3 of the 9 that were already authorized---still can not authorize any new "from" addresses! And there seems to be NO customer support---except an inane FAQ that basically says, "keep trying again..." and that accepts "suggestions..." Well I sent "HELP HELP can not authorize new accounts..." as my "suggestion"---and also "replied" with the same message to their faulty authorization emails---but I doubt this will do anything. So right now, I can not say Yahoo is so great anymore.

Remove Ads