Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    So, what was I right about?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    im not sure -- i pulled that thread apart and put it back together twice ... maybe i missed a piece
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    You might wanna check that - if Win2K or WinXP is installed on a FAT partition that will work, but not if it's on an NTFS partition.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Dude... I didn't say that....
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    you didn't - oops.

Well whoever said it was right

Member #
    Originally posted by mafunk
    you didn't - oops.

Well whoever said it was right
    if am correct -- mossoi made that statement hahahah:dead:

in which i just tested my thoery and i was able to view my NTFS with a windows 2k boot disk
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You may be able to view an NTFS partition depending on the type of boot disk and how you made it but the fundamental rule is that DOS can't read NTFS.

How d'ya make the disk?

Member #
    Originally posted by mossoi
    You may be able to view an NTFS partition depending on the type of boot disk and how you made it but the fundamental rule is that DOS can't read NTFS.

How d'ya make the disk?
    That was my point mossoi , you can read NTFS with the right boot disk --- whats on the boot disk is DOS -- unless you know of another operating system that windows run on top of please tell us .. but most of us know or should know that windows is on top of DOS --

NTFS or FAT32 is just the filesystem .. now class one on one please listen;;

do not get a filesystem confused with a operating system they are 2 different things .. now a computer using fat32 filesystem can not read files on a computer using NTFS (vice versa) ..

now any computer with WINDOWS installed also has DOS installed -- even if its on a NTFS or FAT32 filesystem..

i wont even answer your question about the boot disk -- im sure any admin can answer that for themselves
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh jeez - go somewhere and read about what you're misunderstanding - WinNT/2K/XP does not run on top of DOS, they have DOS emulation built in - Windows ME was the last one to build on DOS.
    i wont even answer your question about the boot disk -- im sure any admin can answer that for themselves
    As for the network admin digs - you'll notice that I put a wink after it ( ) - maybe you don't understand irony but it was tongue in cheek much like the often quoted "trust me, I'm a doctor" - maybe too subtle for you.

NTFS or FAT32 is just the filesystem .. now class one on one please listen;;
    Don't try to patronise me about OS's, Filesystems or anything else please - you may know your stuff but don't try to suggest that I don't!

Regardless of the foundations of Windows it is still a fact that DOS don't do NTFS - or would you like to believe that Windows does absolutely nothing other than sitting happily on top of DOS mimicking command line input?

You're probably very well aware of this so I'm sure I've no need to point out to you that the DOS prompt in Win2k onwards is not in fact a DOS prompt but is the command line or shell.

BTW - trust me I'm a network admin! Notice the lack of a wink which means in this instance I am stating that I do know what I'm taking about as I am not one of those poor little self nominated network admins that you so graciously help out when they can't find the PC power switch but am in fact a very experienced network admin.

Oh, you might want to correct the vice versa bit in your previous post - it's wrong

Go to this link and read the three columns that appear towards the bottom of the page if you don't believe me, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h..._and_FAT32.asp - or alternatively try put a FAT floppy in a PC with an NTFS file system and you'll find out that it works.

Member #
    If you attempt to boot off a floppy and then start Windows XP or Windows 2000, you're assuming that these operating systems run on top of DOS like Windows 95, 98, and Me did. This is not the case; Windows XP and Windows 2000 are both based on the Windows NT kernel, which is independent of DOS.

You will not be able to boot off a floppy and then start Windows XP or Windows 2000. Furthermore, you will not be able to boot into DOS using Windows XP or Windows 2000 startup disks, because DOS isn't there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads