Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I had an idea. As a forum, let's think of a small project that we could all use, or that would benefit people in general, and let's make it! This could be anything from a group written tutorial on a subject, to a collection in a thread of some frequently asked for / used code segments, or something.

Whatcha think?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Great idea Wired!

I have no immediate ideas myself, but it will be a useful learning experience for anyone involved.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have quite a few code snippets I've written to help myself keep track of basic stuff if you'd like 'em. Also if you guys ever want to help finish my php-based game, I'd be down to share my code so it could actually get done
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    perhaps a game or interface with flash?

JR
    Member #
    Sure, I'd help
    JR

Member #
    I'm in, if we get an idea just notify me and I'll help in any way I can.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I had a really cool idea for a personal project that I want to develop. Unfortunately, I have no time to develop it myself. It's not really along the lines of what Wired originally intended by this thread, but I think that it's worth doing. It's also big enough to justify a group effort.

My idea is to make a website called RuleTheWorld.com (taken) or something along those lines. People can register at the site and choose a country of citizenship, corresponding to their actual one. Then, they can respond to questions... political questions and decision-oriented questions. They can have forums where they have discussions with other people from their country, choose leaders, representatives, etc. Representatives can have discussions in other forums with representatives of other countries. Leaders can attack other countries, build armies, or sign peace treaties, write new laws, or whatever. Commodoties can get traded, jobs lost, people can die... everything that happens in real government and economics today.

The idea is to see what would happen if the world controlled by the people - from scratch. What decisions would we make? What history would we create for ourselves given the opportunity to "start fresh". Would we eliminate weapons and create a Nirvana or would we blow up the world with nukes? Because of the accelerated nature of the program, we could look years ahead and see what people actually want to do with the world, which would be a good indicator for our governments as to what we want.

It would be a HUGE project, though. Not sure if you guys are up for it. Let me know!

JR
    Member #
    That would be a great idea! It would take months, maybe even years to create though. I guess it would be mostly a pre-made bulletin board with lots of custom hacks, so maybe it wouldn't take that long...

I'd be up for it.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hmm... not that big at all really. Just a bunch of simple database stuff... same as any text-based game Unfortunately it sounds boring to me... and requires a massive userbase for it to be any fun for the players... a major problem.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

JR
    Member #
    But it could be really successful, it sounds like a pretty unique idea. It would bring together budding politicians, economists etc. who would all be interested in this. And it would be big, just think of all the possible things you can have.

It could also be combined with a forum for discussion of real life politics/economics/world news.
    JR

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads