Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

This has nothing to do with web design at all, I hope I am not doing anything wrong by posting here!

My question is this: I want to buy a new monitor soon, I really like the lcd monitors, or failing that a groovy tft one (my current monitor is huge and takes up most of my desk!). I did talk to someone in a computer shop today and they told me that, for games at least, an lcd or tft screen would not be as good as my current one as the screen refresh rate is slower. Does anyone here have an lcd (or tft) screen and play games like Soldier of Fortune 2 and Quake 3 (ie, rapid games)? How do they respond on the monitor?

Performance is very important to me, but so is having a super cool and snazy monitor!

Many thanks

Jo

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Right section, and yes, they gave you the right answer. LCD screens don't have a refresh rate at all. They do have a reaction time, which is like a refresh rate. Most LCDs out there aren't that good for video games, although they are getting better. I'd stick with a CRT for now.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm using an old(ish) 17" Phillips TFT and it seems fine with games. I have a CRT on another PC and to be honest I can't really tell the difference. The one time it's noticeable though is if there is a rotating image on a black background (logo's etc.) which tend to feather at the edges.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd almost go for a LCD monitor... CRT's are cool and all, but having a perfectly flat screen that's right there and oh so crisp is priceless to me. I'm in love with my laptop's screen... and it's not even as nice as they come... I've seen many people play games off LCD screens... and to be honest, I don't see a difference. Remember that the human eye can only see so many FPS... and at some point it's just nicer to have a crisp image instead of 150FPS on CounterStrike.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    FPS has nothing to do with the screen, just the video card.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I don't own a LCD screen, but I have it in school, biblio and others. I think they suck. And they are good mark. The one it the biblio are the best (HP), but they still suck alot.
    If you don't look a LCD frontly, the colors get bad. I mean that you can't view a LCD correctly if you look it from more than 30 degress angle.
    And they are a lot more expensive.
    I won't buy one unless they get muuuch better.
    I own a HP 17", and the only complain about it is that I would like that it was Flat screen (not LCD).

And remember, DON'T use 60Hz refresh rate for the desktop. Most of the games use 60Hz, but for surfing the net, programming,etc use at least 75Hz. (I use 85Hz)
    Of course, the maximum refersh rate depends on the Monitor.
    And I suppose that a very few people use 60Hz, as it's stressing to see how the Monitor has a slight "flicker" constantly.

If I had to buy one, I should buy some 19" flat screen (not LCD) with a good refresh rate. And Mitsubishi (yes, the same than the cars) monitors are the best I've seen.

I hope I was of help and I din't bore you.
    And sorry for my english, I think it's pretty good for being auto-learned.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quick test to see if your refresh rate is to low for comfort:

Look just above the monitor (couple of inches) - if you can see the screen flickering in your peripheral vision then the refresh is too low and your eyes are straining.

Member #
    I also use a 17'' inches Philipos (107sx). I don't have any problems, despite I use it for 3 years
    I don't like LCD (specially in notebooks or laptops) because of the angle you are watching and color matching...
    - Webmaster's Planet . Greek Vortal For Webmasters ...
    - MyPortFolio - View My Creations

Remove Ads