Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Buying a new PC

Member #
    I won't be buying a new computer for around a year yet, but have been browsing the net this morning looking for computers.

I would like a Mac, I think, but because the computer would be shared between me, with my graphics/web design and school work, and my Dad, who would use it for his business, I'm not sure whether he could cope with learning how to operate a completely new operating system. (I had enough problems explaining Windows XP to him!)

There fore I have decided to stay with thinking about Windows PCs at the moment, so could you tel me your opinions on the following PC?

From www.ginger6.co.uk:

• AMD Athlon XP3000+ Gaming Base Unit 291.33 (Exc. VAT)
    • 1024mb DDR 117.00 (Exc. VAT)
    • 120gb 7200rpm IDE 37.50 (Exc. VAT)
    • 256Mb GeForce FX5600 88.50 (Exc. VAT)
    • DVD-Drive and 4xDVD/RW (+/-) 117.00 (Exc. VAT)
    • PS-2 Keyboard & Mouse FREE
    • Windows XP Pro 108.75 (Exc. VAT)
    • MS Office XP Small Business 152.50 (Exc. VAT)
    • No Monitor or Peripherals FREE

Total Price: 1,083.27 GBP (Including VAT @ 17.5%)
    • 79.60 (Inc. VAT) can be saved by downgrading to a 512 mb DDR
    • 90.47 (Inc. VAT) can be save by downgrading from a DVD & 4x DVD/RW (+/-) to a DVD and 52x CD-RW
    • 80.73 (Inc. VAT) can be saved by downgrading to a 128mb GeForce Card

New Price: 832.45 GBP (Including VAT @17.5%)

Your opinions are very welcome...
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I'd say it sounds pretty good for the price.

But I'd also say, dump the DVD drive in there and get the upgraded one. Also, if it's a possibility, you might want to check out ATi's cards. They're better than NVidia, hardware wise, and their drivers work (At least for me), perfectly. Never had a single problem with an ATi card, just plug and play. But, the main reason I suggest that is, they're often cheaper than NVidia, but if you can't have them switch the cards out, well then, don't buy both. Or, better yet, do buy both and send me one.

But honestly, I'd say it's a sweet computer.

Member #
    Originally posted by Dekzar
    But I'd also say, dump the DVD drive in there and get the upgraded one.
    I'm confused, by that which one of these would you go for?

- DVD-Drive and 4xDVD/RW (+/-)
    - DVD and 52x CD-RW

Thanks, anymore opinions?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...101-219&depa=0

I would have gotten that if it had gone on sale sooner. With the addition of an nVidia Personal Cinema, it would be nearly up to spec with my current machine.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by Dekzar
    I'd say it sounds pretty good for the price.

But I'd also say, dump the DVD drive in there and get the upgraded one. Also, if it's a possibility, you might want to check out ATi's cards. They're better than NVidia, hardware wise, and their drivers work (At least for me), perfectly. Never had a single problem with an ATi card, just plug and play. But, the main reason I suggest that is, they're often cheaper than NVidia, but if you can't have them switch the cards out, well then, don't buy both. Or, better yet, do buy both and send me one.

But honestly, I'd say it's a sweet computer.
    Exact opposite situation with me. My ATI card is a royal POS, causing its helper programs to lock up and take up 50 MB of memory at runtime for no reason. The drivers are the last thing from plug and play.

However, my past two nVidia cards were absolutely painless. ATI's hardware may be capable of producing more FPS, but once you're spending $400 for a high-end video card, it doesn't really matter anymore.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yeah, don't even bother getting into the ATI/NVidia debate. Also, if you're not going to get a system for a year, all of theose specs will change, guaranteed. Nice system though.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Not a bad system, although I would suggest hanging back a lil on the CPU power - I've got a 2400+ chip running at around 3200+ equivalent speed for the price of a decent copper heatsink and fan... also I doubt that any applications you throw at your machine will require that much power. I've similar specs to the above machine, albeit with an OC'd CPU and a Radeon 9700 Pro instead, and I can run any games at max res, almost as many apps as I like, all of the studio MX suite, PS etc etc.

And I might add my self built system was only about 500 and that was 6 months ago, with a mild CPU upgrade to the 2400+ last month. Sure I cut the odd corner, but I get a hell of a lot out of it.

Although if you've got the money to spend, go with the first system listed for just over a grand, although get a Radeon in there instead

The only reason I suggested going for a little less is saving a little cash which could be better spent... like on beer.

Member #
    If the 256mb Geforce costs 88.50 and you save 80.73 on the 128mb compared to it, this means it costs 7... (give or take VAT).

Remove Ads