Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ok i work for pc world been working for them for just under 4 months now.

I'm mainly sales but i get called into the clinic place every so often to help with customers questions and pc problems.

Anyhow i had someone ask me what memory would work in their pc and luckily i knew the board and knew it would take anything up to pc400 so nice and fast but... what if the chap didnt know the make of his motherboard and all he knew was what speed his cpu was at... is there a way of finding out what speed his memory will run at ?

(obviously without seeing his system)

any ideas and tips would be appreciated

also what programs have you used in the past to test memory ? as in if it works ok and if it is faulty ?

thanks again
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as knowing what memory speed a PC supports from only knowing the CPU speed it's not possible as far as I know. Obviously you can get some sort of idea from the CPU speed as to the age of the PC and what type of RAM it's likely to take. You can often find out from the BIOS but that means you need to have access to the PC.

CheckIT is a pretty useful tool for checking the integrity of an entire PC - drives, RAM and all. You can run a quick 5 minute test or a full test which can take up to 3 hours.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PC400 is incredibly slow. PC3200--what I have--is DDR400. It runs at a very high speed. On dual-channel-supported motherboards like mine, running two identical sticks will also run at twice the speed (I'm guessing the technology is similar to RAID 0).

If the BIOS doesn't tell you, it should be physically labeled on the stick nowadays.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    lol yeh i meant ddr 400 lol that was a typo

anyhow thnx guys :-)
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Remove Ads