Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: routers

Member #
    Is it possible to take a wireless router and plug it into a wired-only router?

My boyfriend and I just moved in together and I'm all about wireless for my laptop, but he wants to keep using his wired-only router for his computers. That's fine for my desktop, but I don't want to be convined to the office for my laptop, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it.

Or should I just force him to go out and get a wired/wireless router?
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can get a wireless access point for his router, which essentially adds the wireless aspect to it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Take your wirless router, plug it into the wired router like you would a computer, then swich the wireless router into something like "Router mode" (as opposed to gateway) or configure it as a switch/access point (same idea as before) that's if you want to share files... otherwise don't worry about it, just plug it in.

If you give me models can probably help you some more.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    My boyfriend has been looking into getting 802.11g routers as they're supposed to give the quickes rates, etc.. I have a 802.11b card though, which could pose as a problem as I would not be getting the rates I could be getting.

I think I will just look into getting the wireless access point instead of having two routers hooked up. Thanks!
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    Filburt just made a post in this thread that says if you connect to a 802.11g network using a 802.11b card, you'll bring the whole network down the the speed of a "b" network. Just a heads up.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Negative on that... it is 100% dependant on hardware there spluf. I've used b on g networks and g retains the fast speed while my b machine ran at 11mbs.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Someone should tell that to Orlando Regional Healthcare System, cause they are running G, and banned B because it slows down the whole network, although I agree that the whole network shouldn't drop, only the node should.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll chime in on that one as well. The router will intelligently switch between speeds according to the device it is talking to so there will be no slow down.

BTW - I'm getting a second wired router tomorrow which I'm going to add to the wireless LAN. I'll post a bit here about how the set up went if anybody is interested.

Member #
    I had never heard of B slowing down an entire G network before, but hadn't had any experiences otherwise so I was just repeating what Filburt posted.

I'm interested in this setup you have Mossoi, why the huge wireless network? How are you securing it?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The two main methods of security at the moment are that the WLAN is very directional (you can't get a connection 10 feet either side of my house) and that the router will only accept connections from devices with a registered MAC address. As far as I know a MAC address can't be spoofed. Also there is the usual selection of firewalls, password protection and packet filtering.

Why do I have a WLAN like this? That's a tricky one. Partly because it's upsetting the other network admins at work (a bit of friendly rivalry), partly because I needed broadband access and this was the only to get it until recently (via a friends connection) and partly because I like playing with and getting to know different methods of networking.

I'm adding the second router because I will be having broadband installed shortly so we are going to be running the network with two Internet connections - I would rather keep two parts of the LAN seperate and bridged by the routers rather than having everything in the same workgroup or bridging via a PC. Then I'm going to start playing with load balancing between the two net connections which should keep me busy for a while.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads