Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm setting up a server and have been looking into SATA as an option for a RAID array.

I've priced it out and a RAID controller card with two 80MB HDD's comes in at about 120. I plan to mirror these two drives which will hold data and have a third disk for the system.

The drives are the standard 7,200RPM with 8MB cache.

It worries me that this is quite so cheap. Has anybody used SATA RAID before? Is it reliable, stable, quick etc.? Is it cheap because RAID is that much easier to implement over RAID?

Just wondering if anybody has any experience or advice about this.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    The RAID itself is the same as PATA RAID, but the connectivity is the difference.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Go SCSI if you money to burn, more durable and stable :classic:

From all tests I've seen so far, the speed advantages to SATA over PATA is negligible. The main advantages are hot-plug capability (in RAID environments), supporting longer cable lengths than PATA, and loosing the heat encapsulating flat cables (especially valuable in crammed RAID environments).
    S. Rosland

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Am I right in my assumption that the RAID capability is already built into SATA chipsets hence the low cost of a SATA RAID controller compared to others (16) ?

Remove Ads