Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JR
    Member #
    I was installing Service Pack 1 and my computer crashed, leaving it totally inaccessible, giving me loads of missing .dll errors. I am screwed if I can't get on, because I have some very important work on it. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks
    JR

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I assume you've tried safe mode?

You could build onto another HDD and then copy the data over or try reinstalling without formatting or partitioning the disk.

Member #
    A lot.

You can either:
    1) Move the HD to another computer with XP and install it as a "slave", then copy your files off there. (fast)

2) Create a live WinXP boot cd, and use that to access and backup your files. (easy but not quick) Check out http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ .

3) Use NTFSReader to open the files and figure out a way to backup them. (depends on your setup/whether you have dos drivers for your removable media drives/network) http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

4) Mess around with the installation program, maybe getting it to work (risky).

Hope that helps.

JR
    Member #
    Tried safe mode - didn't work

I'll give the boot cd a go.

Thanks
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    FWIW, I installed SP1 on my new computer when I was building it--and, not aware at the time, that the RAM was not working properly in its current configuration--and it completely and totally hosed Windows. I had to completely reformat.

Luckily I keep my documents on other drives, and programs and Windows on just one drive.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

JR
    Member #
    Not really an option for me though, because I have a laptop.

I haven't got a WinXP CD, so the boot CD is not an option .

I managed to take my HDD out of my laptop, can it be put into a desktop? And does it have to be XP?
    JR

Member #
    Originally posted by JR
    Not really an option for me though, because I have a laptop.

I haven't got a WinXP CD, so the boot CD is not an option .

I managed to take my HDD out of my laptop, can it be put into a desktop? And does it have to be XP?
    You will need to get a link cable. I've never tried it thought, so I'm unable to help. It should be around 10$ US at your local (professional) tech store. I've heard it's not much harder than adding a second HD. Just remember to check your jumper settings so that the laptop drive is set as
    "slave".

The issue with non-XP versions of Windows is that WinXp uses the newer NTFS file system that is not directly compatible with older versions. Windows NT derivatives should work, however - these are WinNT (of course) and Win2K.

You can use a driver like NTFSReader but I would recommend using an WinNT derivative with native NTFS support.

JR
    Member #
    I'm not sure if my laptop is actually NTFS, I think it is FAT32 - is that possible?
    JR

Member #
    Yes, that's possible. XP can be installed on both FS's.

BTW, even if you have only one HDD you can avoid the total destructive restore by keeping all valuable data on a partition other then the one the OS is installed on. That's the solution I chose for my laptop. (have two portable FireWire harddisks as well).

As a side note;
    Luckily I have an OEM winXP CD I bought when upgrading my "oldest" stationary. The fairly sophisticated tools you have available when booting from this CD, has saved me from many complete rebuilds. Especially catastrophic boot sector errors. I've had that on a few occasions, and then that CD is a life saver. The two newest computers (my laptop and my wifes stationary) only came with the restore CD, which is basically a GHOST image of a complete install.

Can you demand to have a separate Win CD when buying a complete PC, or do you have to settle for the restore CD?
    S. Rosland

JR
    Member #
    I think you have to settle for the restore CD, not sure.

Anybody in the UK have any idea of where I can get one of these laptop to desktop hard drive converters from, online or not?
    JR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads