Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    From wich stage did you installed it? (I mean, stage1,2 or 3).

I want gentoo because teorically it's faster, because you compile the source in your computer, so it's comiled to maximize the CPU's specs. (Like MMX, SSE,...).

Or should I get a normal distro? I think the best distro out there is Debian, but it's said that it's old because the only release a major version when they have profundly tested it.
    Has anybody installed Debian sarge (testing release) and has it's with brand new things?

I had installed RH9 before and I don't like it. With all his crap of RHN (Red Hat network) and other things... And people say that to leran Linux, you have to get 'difficult' distro, like Debian, Gentoo, Slackware... Not these whimpy windows user linux like Mandrake.

Thnx

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    You can compile any of them. Are you thinking about the Gentoo Live CD, that doesn't install on your PC at all?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I tried to installe Gentoo a few years ago when i was into BSD because the portal system is the same. I tried to do an install from stage one but didnt get far and eventually gave up on it because i couldnt get my network card set up properly to use the portal system.

Member #
    I am going to install it from with the easiest way to install it from stage1. That is downloading two CD's and use the first one as a livecd and install it from there, and the second CD is to don't have to download from the net all the tarballs, because the most important are included in the second CD.

I will tell you how it's going, If I can install it from stage1, everybody can.

PS- Has anybody a idea on how long does it take to install from stage1? I have a Duron1300.

Remove Ads