Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_for_e_mail_3

What do you think of this? I think it has its drawbacks and advantages. I sure as hell don't want to pay for emailing, but it would definitely deter spammers from emailing millions in a day.

I was also wondering...Who gets the money from this anyway?
    BondMovies.com - "Nobody Does It Better."

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's been going on for a while. Spamcop (http://www.spamcop.net/ , IIRC) offers e-mail addresses that offer extremely strict spam protection for a price. Evidently they hunt down (exaggeration starts here) and kill the spammers with automatic weapons.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I hate spam and all, but I really have no problem deleting it. I guess it's preference...
    BondMovies.com - "Nobody Does It Better."

Member #
    But when it starts costing you bandwidth and money for anti-spam software and filters, you really get annoyed.

An issue I have with this e-mail charge is: who would get the money?

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Spam is such a huge and annoying problem, I think the "freedom of speech" defense they are hiding behind needs to be knocked down. This freedom is costing us millions, probably billions, and is clogging up the internet world wide. My freedom of the internet is more important then their freedom of speech!

Member #
    While what you say is true, spluf, you know as well as I that they can't touch the free speech amendment. Though I hope people can find a way around it and get the spammers somehow. (And I don't think that charging for e-mails will solve this, because spammers will find a way around that too, and you and I will be paying for nothing, plus it ruins mass opt-in e-mails)

On a related topic, telemarketers are also hiding behind free speech to try to dissolve the national do-not call list.

(I am from Canada but I watch a lot of US television )

[Li] Brad

Member #
    I know they can't touch the free speech ammendment, but that seems to be one of the most abused ammendments today. I don't think it's authors intended it to be used to harass people over the phone at dinner time, or clog their inboxes with hundreds of junk emails daily. I think if these two issues were put to a simple popular vote, the people would speak overwhelmingly against these two common annoyances. We need to find a way to touch that...:ichatangel:

Member #
    It can be solution if correctly done.
    Let's say that they charge you 0.001 for each email. Then if you send 1000 monthly mails, it is a total of 1$. That is very cheap for having no SPAM.
    Then a super-spammer sends 1.000.000 mails a day. That costs him *only that day* 1000$. And 30.000$ monthly. Too much for him.

The problems:
    [1]Let's say that lockergnome sends 100.000 mails every week. That costs him 400$ per month, and it isn't any spam.
    [2]Who get's the money? I don't know who gets it, but you can be sure that he will earn soooo much money. Think of the worldwide email traffic.

Solution:
    [1]That the organization that charges this creates "non-spammer" price. That's for lockergnome great. And how do you ensure that this "non-spammer" prices are only gived to "non-spammers"? If someone claims that he's receiving spam for him, then lockergnome loses his "non-spammer" license.

Problems:
    There must be someway to solve the problem with the "who gets the money". I don't know how.

Member #
    That is a real challenge, since government wouldn't touch it on account of a "big brother" scenario. A thought I've had is what if ISP's get this money, then don't charge for internet access? It would allow those families with low income to afford the monthly fee for their kids (since you need very little processing power to surf, and PCs are generally getting cheaper) and those with slow connections can benefit from free (or very low cost) DSL or Tx connections. What do you guys think of this?

[Li] Brad

Member #
    ISP's wouldn't earn by far the same money if they charge for email and provide free DSL connections.
    They would only earn money if the spammers pay for theyr mail, but that will end if they charge for email.

Remove Ads