Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Where would I take a laptop to get a minor thing fixed on it? The power input on it is like... flaky, it causes the power to go on/of/on/off really fast (causing me to go insane from the screen flickering bright/dull/bright/dull). I know it's the laptop as I have two adapters and both exibit the same problem. If I fiddle with the plug long enough it stays fine for a while, but I can't stand it much longer. Just wondering where I'd go to get it fixed... electronics store? Maybe I could fix it myself (if someone has similar experience)
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I think you could try to fix it yourself.
    Tell up which laptop is it so I can try to find instructions.

Member #
    It can be a heapload of things causing the bad connection, from a loose soldering to component failure.
    It might be worth a try to open it yourself, as repairs tend to be excruciatingly expensive.

Be prepared to be frustrated. I gave up on my Fujitsu here the other day, and took it to a workshop. Laptops in general and Fujitsus in particular, are notoriously cumbersome to disassemble. In my case, it was the volume switch on the side that had come loose. I gave up when I sat with two zillion parts on the table, and still were unable to reach the area of interest.
    I watched when they took it apart at the shop. It turned out they had to disassemble the machine to molecular level to get to that area on the motherboard.

Unless you are pretty confident in what you're doing, it can be a nightmare to reassemble. It looks absolutely nothing like a desk top/stationary machine inside. The space is very crammed, all parts are intertwined some way, and it's difficult connect certain parts again. (like the little plug-less flatcables that seems to be the primary choice of connectors in lap-tops). They are a bit tricky to connect correctly to begin with, and when you add the total lack of space to maneuver tools and fingers, it quickly becoms extremely frustrating and annoying.

At least prepare yourself to quit, before you are knee deep in unfamiliar parts.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Yes, I tried to fix my Compaq Presario the other day, it had the screen image cable a bit broken (seems to be a frequent issue on presarios). I ended with table full of different screws.
    Finally I didn't fix anything, the cable is broken and they only sell it with the LCD screen (at least 300$).
    I ended with 3 screws over... Bit it doesn't work anyway...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's a HP pavillion zt1195. I just tried it... and wow... according to the service manual I'mm gonna have to take out pretty much everything to get to this damn plug... I can't see this as being the answer, although there's no real instructions for getting to this part (apparently they think it's bullet proof).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads