Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a demo I'm building a machine that will multiboot into every major Windows OS (only one release of each except for 95 otherwise it'll just get too silly).

I've got 2.0, Win3.1, Win95a, Win95c (had to put that one in as it was a turning point), 98SE, ME, 2K Pro and XP Pro.

It's not very graceful at bootup - basically it will give boot options for 98, Win2K and XP but you've gotta break out into a prompt to fire up the others. I haven't dared to put NT on yet in case it screws everything.

On the off chance, does anybody know where I might be able to obtain Windows 1.x (or Interface Manager)? I've had a look around and all I can find are full packages that people are selling as collectors items for around $200. I just want the installer and licence.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

And before any of you ask, yes everything is licenced - it's amazing what one accrues over time

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There's a windows 1.x ?? I never really researched it, but I thought that everything pre-v3 was not commercially available?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah - development started in 1981 under the name Interface Manager and it was released as Windows in 1983.

Here's a screenshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Do you really think it will work? Maybe it only supports hard disks up to 20 megs... or RAM up to 512 kb...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It may not function quite right but It's a DOS application so as long as DOS 6 is working, which it is, it should at least run.

Remove Ads