Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: HDD Question

JR
    Member #
    I recently knackered my laptop hard drive and am ready to purchase a new one. However, I was not supplied with the Windows XP CD when I purchased the laptop, just a "recovery CD" that installs the laptop back to its original state. My question is, will this kind of CD work with a fresh hard drive, or is it something that will only work with the one supplied?

Thanks
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    It should work with a new hard drive without a problem.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    As long as you get the HDD recognized by the system, it's like Wired says. The recovery CD is more or less a GHOST image of the factory install (Win XP + special drivers and software that accompanied the PC).

With regard to getting the HDD recognized (as a harddisk that is), that might be cumbersome sometimes. What you should/could do, is to search the HDD manufacturers homepage an see if you can find some downloadable tools to make a start-up-install-search-for-any-conceivable-errors-that-might-occur disk. Most of them have it.

I recently installed a new Seagate HDD in my laptop, and used Seagate's excellent program to recognize/format/partition the disk, before transferring my backup GHOST image from old filled-to-capacity HDD.
    S. Rosland

JR
    Member #
    Kewl, thanks for the info
    JR

Remove Ads