Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I know we have a lot of brits here, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

I have been looking into getting this car: TVR 3000S

My knowledge of the car is very limited. Does anyone know how reliable they are, or what kind of service they require? Anyone know anyone who has one?

Thanks !!!

Member #
    Seems like you don't have enough with a Lotus Elise...

BTW- The first time I heard about TVR was in Gran Turismo 3, so I don't have any idea about them...

JR
    Member #
    My guess is if it is made in Britain, then it is pretty reliable. Although I would presume that it is pretty hard to get replacement parts etc.

You might have seen the cool TVR in Swordfish...

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...ff&sa=N&tab=wi
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR
    My guess is if it is made in Britain, then it is pretty reliable.

Now THAT'S some funny stuff right there man :laugh:
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Eek, TBH honest I wouldnt buy a TVR unless I had loads of money, or at least lived in Britain. They will guzzle fuel, and as each one is hand made (sort of) it will cost a lot to buy parts, plus fees to have them imported. This is a traditional British car, it will tear your nuts off and digest them, only to regurjitate them on a nunns dress. I havent heard of any general reliability problems with TVRs though, but they are quite rare, and I have only ever seen about 10 in the flesh, so to speak. But saying that, I havent heard anything about them being reliable either, so it could be a gamble. Do a lot of research before investing mate, it could turn out to be a big mistake.

Im not really sure what kind of car you like, but from this choice (TVR) then I would guess you like a bit of muscle. Well, I know jack about muscle cars, so I cant really provide much help. What about an old Corvette? That might be a retarded suggestion I dont know, sorry if it is hehe. If I am wrong in my presumption about you being exclusively a muscle-car-man, then how about a nice ricer? It will be newer, more reliable (unless its a Nissan ), parts will cheaper, more fuel efficient, easier to drive, you get more for your money, better technology, the list goes on really. I know they dont exactly have the same pristige as the British monster you've chosen there, I suppose its down to personal preference really. I dont know how much they retail for in the States, I would guess it would cost a few grand more than that TVR, but what about a Mazda RX-7? I have heard great things about this car, really great things.

In summary- dont get the TVR. If you are going to buy a TVR, its better to get a very expensive one. If you decide to buy it, do a bit of research into this model, and ask the owner lots of questions

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Lord B, thanks for the insight. TVR's aren't all muscle-cars. This particular one is a flyweight. It's got only 160 hp, but 2400 lbs. The turbo version gets 220 hp, so it's more muscular. I like them for their styling.

Re: ricers. I've also been looking at those. Here's one that I was considering: 10 Second RX-7. It's a little too highly tuned for my tastes, but the owner will give me a REALLY good price.

I thought the TVR would be a chance to own something classic. I don't want to be working on it every weekend, though!!!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It has too many miles.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Engine was completely rebuilt from ground up and only has 3k miles on it since.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Transmission... shocks... steering system... body frame.

Much more is to be taken into account when considering the miles of car than just the engine.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Allow me to correct myself. That whole car was rebuilt 3k miles ago, as a race car. Look at the link.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads