Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Will you buy a CD again?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 30.77%
  • No

6 46.15%
  • Only if it's a Jimmy Buffett CD, because Jimmy is God of the Universe.

1 7.69%
  • I worship the ground Jimmy walks on, but I wouldn't buy a CD just because he never sees the money.

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05...s_price_rises/

Apparently many major labes are raising song prices to $1.25 & Albums up to $17. All of this is in USD. Any of the rest of you find this outrageous? I don't know how much you guys know about record companies, but here's the basic breakdown from the artist's point of view.
    1)Label signs them, loans them $200,000 to produce a record.
    2)Label puts out record, sells it for $15 at stores
    3)The band as a whole, on average gets $0.12 a CD, that works out to roughly $0.03 a CD per person.
    4)The band is forced to go on tour to pay for expensive lifestyle and newly found debt with record company.

Here's a quick fact: A single artist (one band member) needs to put out one platinum record a year to make anything more than $30,000 a year (before taxes) with CD Sales alone.

Now that they're charging $1.25 for something that the only cost is the recording of the music (No CD, no panflet, no case). And $17 for albums.. how on earth do they expect to keep this whole legal music thing alive?

To me this is ludacris, we need to stop giving our money to record companies. News like this makes me want to set up an extra computer to download/serve mp3's that I wouldn't even listen to.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    They will break eventually, its all a matter time and economics. Wether they want to belive it or not, their buisness is driven by consumers, not by them. No market can last in the long term by punishing their customers. All it takes is somebody with the ability to fulfill the need of the consumer and return a profit in the process, and we will see a shift in power.

No company, government, organization has ever been able to withstand the force of its customers/people who turn against them. Open any history book and you will see that.

Resistance is futile..

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    *shrug* They're idiots. All of the music I buy comes from iTunes (I will absolutely never buy a CD again), and if this goes through, I won't be buying music again.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    To quote a popular band (that i will not name for fear of being rediculed)...

"You cant stop the music,
    Nobody can stop the music!!"

5TD for anybody who can give me the name of the band.

EDIT: TD's have already been awarded

Member #
    Village People?

The band as a whole, on average gets $0.12 a CD, that works out to roughly $0.03 a CD per person.
    I never realised that the recieved so little cash!
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I remember that song. At one time, in an electronics store I used to manage, Village People was a best-seller. Then again, so were Boney M, Tom Jones, and (even though he's still cool fifty years later) Dean Martin. That store was messed.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As far as the music business is concerned, I'd like to see something brought back that was around for a while a few years ago. It was called Pay the Band. You could pay the band (or artist) directly, and the site would take a 15% cut. The artist would actually make more money and the RIAA and major music labels could go suck on exhaust fumes for all I cared.

EDIT: Yes, recording companies, like most major corporations, are that clueless. It is, however, nice to see a dinosaur slay itself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Village People

You can't stop the music, nobody can stop the music.
    Take the cold from snow, tell the trees, don't grow,
    tell the wind, don't blow, 'cause it's easier.
    No, you can't stop the music, nobody can stop the music.
    Take the spark from love, make the rain fall up
    'cause that's easier to do

Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    5TD for anybody who can give me the name of the band.
    I noticed you said "anybody who can give...", not "first one to give me the name"! :laugh:
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Haha.. well errr.. umm... you got a point.. but no more!!! Oh well I havent used my TD's for anything yet anyway. Five to to justlivyalife, and five go to you. Could you be so kind as to make the transfer rosland?

Sheeesh, I thought it would take a bit longer to figgure out. But I guess when you factor in google...

Member #
    Thanks glyakk, haven't got them yet .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads