Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi there,

A client of mine is running IE 6 on a WinME box with too much other crap to document (his children use the machine too) and I ran into some strange behaviour yesterday I couldn't figure out how to get rid of. His start page kept coming up javascript:doNav('3463214','5'), even when I changed it to a default page or a blank page.

Has anyone seen this before? I couldn't find anything on Google about it. And if so, how do I get rid of it? I tried a virus scan and it did nothing, and I'm contemplating a spyware killer in case that's the issue but before I install anything else on this guy's machine, I want to be relatively sure that this will work.

Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Definitely sounds like spyware. Try a utility called CWShredder. It specifically looks for variations of "THE" web browser hijacker.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can try Spybot S&D too, but remember to update it before checking the PC. Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it, guys. I can try them but I'm not even sure if it is spyware. Before I go putting something on the machine, I want to be sure that spyware is the root cause. I appreciate what you're telling me, but I've got a rule where I don't run something unless I'm sure of what it is.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm almost certain it's spyware. The most common IE spyware technique is changing the user's start page to do something, especially since you can crash IE so easy, and you can change it's homepage to whatever you want.

If you don't do something on computer without being certain you ain't gonna get far in the computer repair business man Seirously. Most of it is educated guess/check with some problem solving.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So am I, Brak, but I'm not totally certain. That's what I'm trying to establish.

Member #
    Spybot S&D has a function to reset/lock IE's start page, use it. Also do the "imnunize" thing, that block a lot of nasty sites on IE

JR
    Member #
    I've got this at the moment, but I get some ****ty search website.
    JR

Member #
    I work at a computer place.. spyware is on (to some degree) every single machine that is brought in.. I mainly use spy sweeper, sometimes ad-aware, sometimes spybot s&d.. just depends..

our record is over 22,000 traces of spyware on a single machine

It is always good to run spyware removal tools!
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Remove Ads