Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Guess this is for Mossoi, Wired or any other hardware experts out there.

I have a network at home where some of the machines are wired and some are on antennas.

On my laptop I have a 3COM card that's causing me a lot of grief. It keeps loosing contact with the access point, and I have to do a new 'search for available networks' followed by a 'connect to...'

When I'm out travelling, it behaves better. I sometimes have problems raising the ever present local network, but after finding it, it stays connected. It's only at home it keeps falling out. Even if I'm sitting in the same room as the access point (two feet from it), it will drop out after a while!

I have two other machines on wireless connection. Those machines stays online without problems.

---------

As I've said, the 3COM card works fine in hotels or other comercial networks, it's only at home it starts acting up.

Are there any logical explanations, or do I have to by/(and try) a new WLAN card?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Is the signal strength bar full?
    If the problem is only at home, maybe the problem is the access point, and not the WLAN card.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Who makes the WiFi Access Point, and the other 2 cards?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    rosland: I haven't played with wireless LANs myself, so I don't know if this applies, but have you checked the framework of your house? If it's steel-framed, that can often cause interference with wireless signals. My cell phone, for example, doesn't work in the office of one of my clients because of the steel frame.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would check your attenae connection to both the Access Point and card (if applicable). One of the antennae from my wireless router came loose once and I would loose signal randomly due to automatic antennae switch (most switch between one antennae to maximize coverage in the direction most connections are coming from)
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Game: He said that he can't use it well in the same room, so the steel walls shouldn't apply. Also, I've seen it where really old houses (i.e. thick wood) will block it as well.

Brak: He's used other machines on the same access point without problems.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ahh, didn't notice that.

Might try changing channels from your Access point, there's lots of things that can interfere... some cards can block them out, some can't.

Also stupid question: have you looked for all available hardware/driver updates?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Thanks for all responses.

1. I have a Jensen access point, and the two desktop machines running on Jensen WLAN cards, work fine (stays connected)
    2. My house is primarily buildt of wood (no steel framework or girders to my knowledge)
    3. Signal strength is good throughout the working areas
    4. The card (3COM with a collapsable antenna) works fine when I'm using it on other WLAN networks (hotels etc)
    5. No, come to think of it I haven't updated the drivers (neither to the WLAN card in question nor the accesspoint). Maybe I should give that a try. I'll see if I can find updated drivers and post back the result.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Game: He said that he can't use it well in the same room, so the steel walls shouldn't apply. Also, I've seen it where really old houses (i.e. thick wood) will block it as well.
    That's why I said I was no expert.

I can usually get these sorts of things eventually, but I'm the type who takes 5-6 hours to isolate the problem getting pissed off along the way. That's why I have a guy working as a "hired gun" for me that does this sort of thing. He does it in a third of the time and a tenth of the swearing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I have finally solved my Wi-Fi blues today, and it is weird. I have been using a Linksys WET11 in my bedroom to connect my PS2 to the internet, and all was well for about eight-ten months. Until one day it ceased to work. Every time I tried to connect, it would drop the WLAN.
    I hadnt changed any of the settings, I have ended up trying all new hardware, and my laptop in the same room, within a metre of the WET11, has an extremely good connection. But today, after some testing, I reckon that the WET11 is not receiving a strong enough signal... which is weird, as it had been working in exactly the same spot for months before hand.

Remove Ads