Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's a question for some of you technically-minded wiregeeks out there:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will allow me to remotely administer a network, when coupled with a DynamicDNS setup using my web server (i.e. I create a site on my web server something like remoteserver.adamitpros.ca, which redirects to the DynamicDNS URL, which in turn would point to either the server or a machine within on the network.)

I don't want to just administer the server: I want to, ideally, administer the whole network. The catch is that there's only going to be a singular connection (via a router), so I'd need a way to gather the internal IP address of the client machine on the network.

Anyone have any ideas?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I know my router allows me to login via the external IP and access all router functions normally accessible within the network. I.E. remoteserver.adamitpros.ca:35 (whatever port you want)

I think that's what you mean at least, I know my router has a DHCP table that I can see the local ip's of the network.

What all do you need to be able to do?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Anything and everything on any machine in a network that I would normally be able to do if I were sitting right there in front of it.

For example, I connect to my web server through Terminal Services Client. I connect using TSC and the IP assigned to my web server and I see a typical Win2K server screen (your start menu, your recycle bin, My Computer, all that good stuff). Now that server is sitting on a network with a whole bunch of other computers, and I'm sure that each computer wouldn't have its own connection; they're more than likely all running from one trunk line and networked internally, or something of that nature.

Now...I want to take the same logic and apply it to both server and any clients on the same network. So if there's 30, 40, 50, 100 machines, I really don't care.

I know it could, in theory, be done by assigning external static IPs to each computer within the internal network (much as my own web server has an external static IP) and having software such as PCAnywhere (or if there's another piece of less expensive and/or resource-intensive software that will allow for this with or without individual external IPs as well, that's fine too) installed that would allow a connection to each individual machine.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can change the RDP port on each computer. There's an MSKB article that tells you what registry key to change.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    And what exactly does that accomplish? Would that allow you to access the individual machines from the network from the external IP and the port (for example, from a web browser http://external IPort)?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can you not just TS into the server and run something like PCAnywhere (or ProxyMaster) from the TS to the clients on the LAN?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's kind of the question. Can it be done, and if it can, what kind of resource does it take?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    And mossoi: do you have a hyperlink to the manufacturer of ProxyMaster? I tried finding it myself on Google, but managed to somehow find a white pride site instead. I'd really like to avoid that happening again.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It can be done - I use this method at work.

The company that make Proxy is Funk Software - http://www.softland.com.ar/info/nt/funk/submain.htm

It's a nice lightweight application and I can certainly vouch for it. We've got it installed on 40,000 clients at the moment and it almost never causes problems.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That looks like pretty much what I want, mossoi.

Question though: if I'm sitting here on my box (which is standalone) and I want to access a remote network through Proxy Host, can I access the server only or any client machines with DHCP-assigned IPs?

In other words:

Me-->Internet-->Server-->Client Machine with no direct internet connection (it goes through a router).

Is that possible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads