Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    CDMA // Code Division Multiple Access
    What is Code Division?
    I know that in GSM the areas are divided by cells, and the interfereting frequency problem is solved: each cell has 6 cells of hexagonal shape (imagine a hexagon, with 6 smaller hexagons inside), hexagon number 1 which is at the top uses a frequency, let's say 1GHz (I don't have any idea of what are the real frequencies used in GSM), hexagon number two has 1'1GHZ, and so on. Then on another big cell near to this one, it's in the same order, cell 1 uses 1 GHz, etc. Like this the cells are enough separated from another with the same frequency to avoid interferences, and if you are getting close to someone with the same frequency, the network changes moves you to another cell.

(Wow, that was difficult to explain for me in English )
    What are the differences between TDMA and GSM that makes the first one better for large areas?

Thanks

Member #
    CDMA uses a wider spectrum to transmit calls. CDMA is like a cable modem where TDMA is like dialup. CDMA uses sequential code frequencies to funnel traffic channels within the same radio channels.

TDMA samples 30 milliseconds of a call and then transmits this information in 10ms, resulting in a round robin sharing of the tower.

Not sure why it's better for larger areas, except that it's a less expensive network to build.

I got most of this information from:
    CDMA info
    TDMA info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads