Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm going to buy a cell phone and want it to work in the US as I'm going to there in a month or so.
    Does the phone really needs to be tri-band to work in the US?
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hmm, never heard of dual-band. Although I know that a lot of phones here pick the best solution (between anolog and tri-band). Also, it would totally depend on your service provider. I'd call them and ask 'em.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    How long are you going to be here? Unless it's for a year or longer, you'll have to go with a prepaid solution. Virgin Mobile's website says that you need one of their phones to use their service. Freeup by Verizon Wireless will require a CDMA phone, because Verizon has a CDMA network. Those are two of the better prepaid services that I know of. Virgin Mobile had the cheapest phone, at $70.

Member #
    http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=135
    That link has solved my question.
    I was going to get the SonyEricsson T630, which has 900/1800/1900 bands

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    How long are you going to be here? Unless it's for a year or longer, you'll have to go with a prepaid solution. Virgin Mobile's website says that you need one of their phones to use their service. Freeup by Verizon Wireless will require a CDMA phone, because Verizon has a CDMA network. Those are two of the better prepaid services that I know of. Virgin Mobile had the cheapest phone, at $70.
    I'm going to stay there for a month, but I've already ruled this, I will bring my tri-band cell phone there and my father will lend me a prepaid card SIM.
    BTW- What does CDMA? Is it like GSM?

Member #
    Before you get a phone though, make sure it will work with a provider over here. Prepaid is gaining popularity, but month-to-month service is still king in the U.S. And with that comes contracts. To sign up with a wireless carrier (unless you're going prepaid), you have to sign a 1 year contract, and it comes with a minimum $150 early termination fee. So before you get a GSM phone, make sure you find a prepaid GSM carrier. (T-mobile, [AT&T Wireless[/url] and Cingular currently provide GSM service in parts or most of the U.S., start with them for prepaid services).

EDIT: CDMA is a vast improvement over TDMA. It allows for more users on the network and it's faster. Some argue that it's better than GSM, I think it's almost as good. The lack of a SIM card makes changing phones difficult, because the phone book isn't transferrable. Difficult for a phone junkie like me that gets a new phone atleast once a year. :ichatangel:

However, for the U.S., CDMA is a better choice because our GSM network isn't fully developed yet. Still has lots of holes. Verizon Wireless, a CDMA carrier, is pretty much undisputed as the leader with the most complete nationwide coverage. Some carriers are better than Verizon in certain areas, but overall Verizon has the best nationwide network. They're a little more expensive, but I think they're worth it.

Member #
    I will get a Cingular prepaid phone that my father has there without much use, and I don't I need national coverage as I will only move from NY to CT, maybe to MA and also to ME.

Why does the US always have to use different standards that the rest of the world?:
    PAL/NTSC
    24hour/Military time (24 hour format is much more practical, as you don't have to say 'am' or 'pm')
    DD-MM-YY/MM-DD-YY format, DDMMYY is logical, it goes from less to more.
    KM/Miles, that can be justified because distances in the US are huge.
    Liters/Gallons
    Celsius/Fahrentheit
    TDMA-CDMA/GSM

Thanks god that they didn't have adopted the driving at the left thing...

Standards are a great invention, but if there are 9765 different standards sets, it's useless

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Umm... TDMA/CDMA/GSM are just different man, not US proprietary

We have GSM networks too... AT&T just recently doubled their GSM coverage in a matter of 6 months or so.

As for metric/english units... it's because that's the way it's been, can't change a tradition.... mind asking why english folks call a flashlight a torch? It sure as hell doesn't light on fire anymore

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Umm... TDMA/CDMA/GSM are just different man, not US proprietary
    I know that, but it is the only place where you have that system, and GSM is better because of the SIM card, you can change the phone whenever you want, or if your phone has run out of battery you can ask someone to lent you his phone and change the SIM card quickly.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Maybe so, but as far as coverage goes TDMA wins out major time. GSM is very costly to implement over such a large area as the US, hence the problem right now. In order to make GSM popular, you have to have instant coverage, and no one but AT&T is making GSM available. So, you soon see the problem where there's even no "roaming" to other companies satilittes.

Perhaps once my contract is up I'll move to GSM, until them I'm sticking to the more reliable TDMA/CDMA network.

Also, I know that Central/Southern America uses TDMA and I think canada as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads