Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Tips...

Member #
    Hiya.

I am going for a job soon, of Web designing and other computer/media/it related things.

The company basically take on people like me (who want computing as a career) - and send me on training courses (for free) and send me out on jobs etc.
    they do not have a web designer (they are a small company) and I have applied. They have accepted me as long as my references go well.

Basically, I am looking for tips from you guys - the REAL professionals. Obviously my sites do not have to be the 700 standard (just yet) because we do not charge that much. But they still have to be quite good.

here are sites I have designed
    www.generation-rising.com/Main4.jpg
    www.generation-rising.com
    www.generation-rising.com/kic
    www.amnesia.generation-rising.com
    www.amnesia180.7p.com

They are only a few. So far - what do you think? Are many people likely to pay (small) for that sort of design.

How could I get better? I think i will need to sit down and study php in depth to start creating easier sites. My code is really messy, and I use FrontPage to lay it out (in tables etc) then I do the rest in PHP and HTML myself.

However, is a webdesigner "aloud" to use FrontPage (im just thinking of copyright stuff?)

Just any tips (im sure the company will give me some and send me on courses) but I am just wanting a bit more of an insight before I fully get it into.

Thank you for all your help (in advance!)
    Amnesia

Member #
    Did I read Frontpage??
    Remove it, and get Dreamweaver, or even code by hand, but Frontpage...It's soooo IE propietary. Sites made in FP only look ""good"" in IE.

BTW- What program do you use for Graphical design? I suggest you to get Photoshop, or if the company is going to buy Dreamweaver, maybe they get the StudioMX2004 bundle that also comes with Fireworks.

If you can choose the courses where they send you, first opt for something related to CSS or graphical design, and later PHP/MySQL related stuff. I would suggest you ASP.net if the company is huge, but you said it's small.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia_180
    However, is a webdesigner "aloud" to use FrontPage (im just thinking of copyright stuff?)
    Of course you can, but apart from the reasons I gave you above, FP is for beginners, DW is for intermediate-advanced, however, if you begin in DW it will be better. (If I could go back in the time, I would never used FP, they only teach you crap that isn't useful later)

Member #
    Thanks so much for your help
    But what do you think about my exams? are they ok or not really?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am assuming he has photoshop because of the 'patchwork' filter behind the logo.

I think the first design looks too 'techno', and there is no color. It is not bad but could defenatly use somt TLC.

The mambo design looks the most complete, and usable. But it looks bare and the centered text has got to go.

The other designs look like they could use some work. The flash animation in the KIC site seens unessary, althought I am a huge fan of flash, it does have its place.

One of the sites still has a comming soon spalsh page. Never direct clients to an unfinished site, that is almost a gurentee that you will loose their buisness. After all you would not buy a car from a manufactuer if their main show car didn't have paint, seats, pedels, brakes, or a windshield because they just havent gotten around to it yet(but of course yours will).

Member #
    Ok. Thanks a lot.

The KIC flash animatino was requested by the people, because its a childrens club - something nice to start off the site.

Thanks again

Also - could you help in answering this question - http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=14660

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia_180
    The KIC flash animatino was requested by the people, because its a childrens club - something nice to start off the site.
    The one thing I have noticed when talking to clients who want flash is generally they dont know WHY they want flash. They always think it will help enhance their site by somehow setting them apart. I have almost always been able to talk clients out of flash once I show them that factors such as load times, the animation getting old, and does it really enhance the site.

Althought I dont have time at the moment to answer your other post, I will say the design you are using looks very interesting, It resembles minimalist design(witch I am very fond of). I like the simple inset menu, and the color.

Member #
    Hi glyakk. thanks again for your reply - good point about flash! I use swish to do my animations, maybe thats cheating lol?

Thanks for your kind remarks on my latest personal site, i do prefer doing minimalist websites (i am a musician at heart, and love composing serialism and minimalism pieces too!). I didnt know many people liked minimal sites though? Although i think they are much easier to update and look at.
    Thank you again - I have added you to MSN and ICQ if you dont mind... if you do, thats cool

In regards to the post about what PHP do i need. I did find this

"
    Alright, first of all on your index.php file paste this include:
    <? include("news/news.txt"); ?>
    ^modify it to your news file.

Then on your index2.php file put this where you want the actual CONTENT to show:

<?
    if(!file_exists("$id.php"))
    {
    echo("404 <b>$id.php</b> could not be found!");
    }else{
    include("$id.php");
    }
    ?>

If the file not not exist it will print out the 404 error. If it does exist it will include that .php page.

Note: You can change the .php to .htm or whatever on the navigation code ONLY.

Now, to link them.. The link would look like this: index2.php?id=contact
    That would include the contact.php file.

Now that youve got that on your site you will only need to update 2 files to switch layouts! This doesnt work well with iframes.

I hope this helped "

Although i can not seem to get it to work. I found the bit about adding the .txt in their very helpful. This would allow the client to EASILY update basic pages without knowing any HTML what so ever

Remove Ads