Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As Sarab said, if you want to be completely accurate you should say:

"Please criticise my site" or "Please supply a critique of my site".

Criticise is a commonly misused word as a criticism can be either positive or negative.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignBox
    It was our language first!!! hehehe
    No, it's the same language. There are simply two generally accepted "correct" variations of spelling it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignBox
    I'm sorry but it just annoys me how you americans spell... color instead of colour, neighbor instead of neighbour, mom instead of mum.... I can just go on and on and on :P
    That is baseless. Both spellings were created by NATIVE British-English speakers AT THE SAME TIME. The only difference was that one lived in GB and one in the USA. Obviously there are disparities, but that's to be expected. Had two people living in GB created dictionaries simultaneously, the same disparity (ok, not THE SAME one, but a similar one) would have occurred. Please don't be all nationalistic and say that Oxford is more correct because the guy who created it was living in GB at the time - they were both created by educated british men. The only reason the two different forms of the language were never joined in the first place was because neither side would give in (remember, this was not long after America declared its independence from GB).

Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    As Sarab said, if you want to be completely accurate you should say: "Please criticise my site" or "Please supply a critique of my site". Criticise is a commonly misused word as a criticism can be either positive or negative.
    As Adam and I said, in the USA, it's also acceptable to use "critique" as a verb. I haven't checked the OED, but in America, "critique" has a primary usage as a noun, but a secondary usage as a verb. Of course, the word is French, derived from the Greek "kritik", which is a noun, but:

From Dictionary.com: Critique has been used as a verb meaning “to review or discuss critically” since the 18th century, but lately this usage has gained much wider currency, in part because the verb criticize, once neutral between praise and censure, is now mainly used in a negative sense.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In North America. Geez man, give us a little credit north of the border, eh?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    OK here's the results from Google (going by the result that seemed most relevant):

Critic:

"Someone who frequently finds fault or makes harsh and unfair judgments"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...fine%3A+critic

Critique

"Constructive criticism of the effectiveness of the work or the appropriateness of the choices made by the creator or performer"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ne%3A+critique

So there you have it. Thats from google and they seem to be reliable. A Critic is someone who reviews the work and critique is the critisizm itself. At least that's the way I interpret it.

will7.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That definition of critic is not the main definition. It is colloquial at best. Why did you choose to highlight that one? What about:

"anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something"

which is closer to the accepted meaning of the word.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I just don't get why anyone would use Google in the first place to look up a dictionary definition, as opposed to...well...the dictionary.

Will: Google is a mess right now. Using them to search for a lot of things in general won't always provide relevant results. In this case, it really wasn't all that close.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Besides that, will, your précised definitions are incomplete (now watch someone argue the merits of "précis" used as a verb). Here's Google's FULL definition for "critique" (pay special attention to the third one):
    Definitions of critique on the Web:

an essay or article that gives a critical evaluation (as of a book or play)
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

a serious examination and judgment of something; "constructive criticism is always appreciated"

appraise critically; "She reviews books for the New York Times"; "Please critique this performance"

to use the method of synthesis together with a critical approach to doing philosophy. This term appears in the titles of the three main books in Kant's Critical philosophy, which adopt the theoretical, practical and judicial standpoints, respectively. The purpose of Critical philosophy is to prepare a secure foundation for metaphysics. (Cf. metaphysics.)
    www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/ksp1/KSPglos.html

Constructive criticism of the effectiveness of the work or the appropriateness of the choices made by the creator or performer.
    www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/drama810/apf.htm

an essay or article in criticism of a literary work, a review.
    http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/help_and_t...g/glossary.asp

A thoughtful, usually written evaluation of a manuscript, concentrating on problems of structure, tone, characterization, and the like.
    www.underdown.org/cigglossary.htm

a formal analysis of a work, as in: Please send your request for a site review to the HWG critique mailing list.
    www.business-words.com/dictionary/C_2.html

Kant introduced the term for the critical examination of reason by itself. Later European philosophers have pursued a method of critique, but some have relinquished Kant's commitment to reason as the key element of their reflective method.
    www.hku.hk/philodep/ugrad/glossary.htm

One-one-one or group constructive feedback session in the form of a collaborative analysis of a design or issue integrated with brainstorming alternate solutions.
    http://www.rednetdesign.com/mediawor.../glossary.html

An act of criticizing (describing, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating) or reviewing.
    it.wce.wwu.edu/necc97/poster4/ArtsEdNet/WebWhacker/WW1255.html

Honest feedback on your work. What did work, what didn't, what we saw and what we didn't see.
    www.ctexperience.com/equipped/glossary.asp

A written response to a student writing which comments on the writing's effectiveness in terms of focus, organization, purpose, editing, and which responses to the writing's content. By the end of semester you should have written at least 10 critiques for other people (keep a copy in YOUR portfolio) and should have collected at least 10 critiques from other students concerning your writings. These will be done in class on workshop days.
    staff.jccc.net/mfitzpat/hybrid/c1_glossary.htm

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264
    In North America.
    No offense intended. It's just that not all of North America uses "American English". Besides, didn't you disassociate yourself with our flavo[u]r of the language earlier by saying OED English is "more correct" ?

Member #
    Transio I was only kidding when I said it was our language first

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think that English is the first and proper version of the language, because when people all over the world learn it it's called "English" not "American", most of the books for learining it are made in Oxford, the teachers usually have british accents and it's origin is Britain.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads