Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Not sure how it is in the rest of the world, but in the USA:
    • Critiques are written reviews of a piece of work, and
    • Critics are people who critique stuff for a living

Anyhow, it's frustrating for me to see people say "please critic my work". It's the equivalent of saying "please designer me a template".

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Theirs no problem with spelling in the us or punctuatatatation you need to calm down :angry:
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    punctuatatatation
    It's punctuation deary. I think you added a few too many 'at's and 'ation's there lol.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Steve, stop critiquizing others who want a critic of their website and calm your *** down.

Seriously, I see poor grammar and spelling all the time. I usually just correct it as I go along. For example, one of my guys tends to mix up words, so I'll put the correct word in quotes so that he knows for next time.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Critics are people who critique stuff for a living
    I'm not 100% sure that 'critique' is a verb, transio, though I know you folks that side of the big pond tend to be more elastic with the rules...

I think critics are 'people who criticise (UK spelling) stuff for a living' (since criticism doesn't have to be negative).

So I suppose if folk asked 'please critic. my work' (with the period/full stop) then it could strictly speaking be regarded as an abbreviation of criticise/ze, and therefore correct. :knockedout:

Sara the Swot
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "Critique" is considered a transitive verb, but its primary usage is as a noun. This might explain some of the usage issues.

For more information, plesae visit Dictionary.com's definition of "critique". And for more useful spelling and grammar tips, click here. Make sure you click the "Muscle" at the end for more tips.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ah, yes, sarab, well as I said, I'm not sure how the rules work on your end of the pond.

I wouldn't say that Americans are more lax with the rules than Brits. The truth of the matter is that no formal rules had been established for a long time.

Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language and James Murray's Oxford English Dictionary were, after all, published at about the same time.

This is the source of the disparity between American and British English. They're both correct, though.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The Brits are more correct, however. After all, they invented it. Besides, I refuse to consider American English "correct" when "y'all" use words like "boyahtayuWUT!" and "Dagg-NABBIT!" :-D

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, but Noah Webster was born in a British colony. He was raised speaking British English. The only major difference between the American Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary is spelling, which had never really been formally established prior to the creation of the two tomes. It's a wonder that there are so many similarities between the two!

PS - The Brits are not "more correct". There's no such thing! Either you are or you aren't. Correctness is a boolean state.

Member #
    I agree with TheGame :P "The Brits are more correct, however. After all, they invented it."

It was our language first!!! hehehe

I'm sorry but it just annoys me how you americans spell... color instead of colour, neighbor instead of neighbour, mom instead of mum.... I can just go on and on and on :P

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads